Coopers Community

New to Coopers

Titans19

Hi guys,

I live in Darwin, NT and have been doing home brew in bottles for a few years using TUBS from OzBrew, but have recently bought a couple kegs, a fridge to ferment in, and looking at buying/building a keezer. Since I've now got the tools for the job I'm looking at getting a bit more adventurous, but I'm still very much a rookie and have 3 young kids which means I'm pretty time poor when it comes to actually making the brew.

Can anyone suggest a good, easy to make Coopers brew? The TUBS brew I've been enjoying the most is the WA Wheat as it is a very easy beer to drink in the heat, but I like drinking Little Creatures Pale Ale, Stone & Wood Pacific Ale or a nice fruity IPA...

Would the Coopers IPA with 3x500g Malt from Big W be the best place to start off, or would anyone suggest anything better?

Also, where do people source the hops that are in the recipes?

Thanks for any help guys.

Cheers

Welcome to the Forum mate. I can see you are on the way down the rabbit hole already 🙂 

If you want to keep things simple, then yes, the Coopers IPA with 1.5kg of dry malt is a good option. If you want to be a little more adventurous, add hops and/or specialty grains. 

Have a look at the recipe section here on the site. You will find heaps of ideas ranging from very simple to advanced but all based on Coopers/Mr. Beer kits. There are some really nice beers to be made 🙂 

I'm in Brisbane, so I can't help you with home brew stores in Darwin but I get my hops from all over the place. Most decent HBS ship all over the country. My main supplier is Hoppy Days Brewing Supplies here in Brissy but I mostly get things shipped. They're on the other end of town and I can't get there and back for the 10 bucks they charge for delivery. If they don't have what I want, I just google the hops and see what comes up.

Happy brewing.

• Like 3

Hi Titans and welcome.
I haven't made many hops purchases but I was getting mine from TripleJ Brewing in Melbourne but the Covid has interrupted their business for the time being. Use the code 'TRJ5' for 5% discount when they get up and running again for 5% discount.
I'm not sure what the freight would be to Darwin but to me in Adelaide it was quite reasonable.
Google any local home brew stores (LHBS) in Darwin and I'm sure they'd have hops.

• Like 2

Welcome

Another way to be adventurous is to purchase the Recipe of the Month from Coopers. I regularly purchase these as it gives me access to recipes I would not normally do. The best thing about these it that they supply "everything" in the box that you need to do the brew. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys..

I had a look at the local brew shops website and they only have a limited supply of hops. I guess if they have what is in the recipe I'll go to them, otherwise I'll order online. Thanks for supplying some retailers.

I had a look at the recipes and I think I'll give the Beekeeper a go. Sounds easy and delicious!

This is probably a dumb question, but when do the Recipes of the Month tend to come out? I've noticed them before when I've been googling home brew, but they always seem to be sold out. I take it they are very popular and you have to get in early..

Thanks for providing the abbreviation in your post Muzzy - I have a hard time working them out sometimes..

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

• Like 2

You're welcome @Titans19
A couple more FYI.
FV - fermenting vessel or vat
CCA yeast - Coopers commercial ale yeast. It's extracted from the sediment of Coopers stubbies and used by some home brewers.
LDM - light dry malt
BE1, BE2 etc - Brew Enhancers
SWMBO - she who must be obeyed (pretty obscure that one but a few on here use it and it had me stumped for awhile)
Dex - dextrose
CC - cold crash (cooling the wort to allow particulates to drop to the bottom)
ABV - alcohol by volume
SMASH - single malt and single hop
PET - Poly Ethylene (I think) refers to plastic bottles.
FWK - fresh wort kit
BIAB - brew in a bag (for grain brewers)
K&K - kit and kilo (Home brew tin and 1kg of dexrose or brew enhancer)
NFI - basically what I have about home brewing or no fn idea. 🙂 
ROTM - recipe of the month

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forums - best place I've fund for advice and tips.

First, the best way to get supplies tends to be online unless you're lucky enough to have a LHBS which isn't just in it for the money. e.g. I get LDME (Light Dry Malt  Extract) in 5kg lots from Adelaide for $42.50 - to do the same in packets would be about $80 on special. I get my hops (usually) from cheekypeakbrewers - also I got most of my keg set up from them.

I use the Coopers Real Ale as the base for most of my brews and play around with extras. Just recently got some cans of LME Liquid Malt Extract) to try instead of the DME (Dry Malt  Extract) and I usually do a partial mash of grains for extra taste and body. I have a sous vide that I use for a small mash - it's 5 litres in size so I can do up to maybe 1.3 kg of grains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

This is probably a dumb question, but when do the Recipes of the Month tend to come out? I've noticed them before when I've been googling home brew, but they always seem to be sold out. I take it they are very popular and you have to get in early..

I'm unable to put a specific date on it but they usually come out early in the month. Keep your eyes peeled, as the next one should be up in the next few days, going on past releases.
Make sure you are logged on your Coopers DIY membership when placing orders to take advantage of 10% members discount.
Also, when the ROTM are released there's usually a free delivery period of about 1 week, not just on ROTM orders but on any orders over $80 or $100. The $ threshold varies.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum @Titans19 this is a very good place to be for your home brewing info.

If you like the beers you mentioned then have a crack at the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale in their recipes section or download the spreadsheet that Shamus O"Sean very kindly updates for all of us every month and go through that to see what you can brew with whatever local ingredients you can get up there in the NT or wait to get stuff shipped in by post.

It is one of my favorite brews.  You will need to source some summer hops and of course Galaxy hops.  Have a look on evilbay and do a search for the hops etc. and you will soon find your hops at the right price.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

Thanks @iBooz2.. I actually found that one and printed it out, so it's on top of the list. I can see this getting very addictive with my bank balance going down and waist line going up..

I picked this up yesterday for $350. It included the reg, co2 gas bottle and everything. I just need to get some new lines for it. Very happy with the purchase.

Now I've got another newbie question for you guys - I had a brew ready to keg 2 weeks ago, but didn't have a regulator so I used dextrose for the carbonation. Now I have the fridge, taps, etc I want to set it up and drink it, but is two weeks not long enough and it would be beneficial in waiting another two weeks?

Also, the regulator that came with this set up is a tesuco regulator like the one in the below picture. From what I've read about carbonating, etc the numbers don't quiet add up. Do I just convert it for 100 = 10, 200 = 20, 300 = 30, etc? Does anyone use this regulator and can suggest what pressure to have it for force carbonating and for pouring?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers 

Keg pic.jpg

Keg - CO2 TESUCO DUAL GAUGE.jpg

37 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Do I just convert it for 100 = 10, 200 = 20, 300 = 30, etc?

Nice score there... 👍

Do a search for 'convert kpa to psi' and use the calculator. e.g. 100 kPa = 14.5 psi

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, MUZZY said:

I'm unable to put a specific date on it but they usually come out early in the month. Keep your eyes peeled, as the next one should be up in the next few days, going on past releases.
Make sure you are logged on your Coopers DIY membership when placing orders to take advantage of 10% members discount.
Also, when the ROTM are released there's usually a free delivery period of about 1 week, not just on ROTM orders but on any orders over $80 or $100. The $ threshold varies.

I'm surprised the ROTM hasn't popped up yet. There's a fathers day promo on home brew kits currently and I'm wondering if this is in lieu of the ROTM promo. 

• Like 1

I keep checking!

I currently have one keg with my WA Wheat from TUBS that I'm waiting on sugar priming.

Mangrove Jack Grapefruit IPA in the FV. 

(order both of those before getting on here)

And then have one keg spare that is earmarked for either the ROTM or the Coopers Summer Pacific Ale.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

A few more question if I may... I've been reading some forums and listening to podcasts around cold crashing, transfer and force carb and not sure what I should do.

• Is it advisable to cold crash in the FV then pour into the keg? OR  pour in keg and cold crash in there?

Some say just do it in the keg and the first pour will get rid of the sediment, others say do in the FV so you don't get sediment/hops in bottom of keg that can then block the liquid line.... What is the best process?

• I also don't have a tube to syphon from FV to the Keg. Is it ok to just have it pour from the FV tap into the keg?

I read an article saying this may cause too much oxygen getting into the brew.

• Do you force carbonate on the liquid line to come from the bottom of keg? Or just sit it on the gas in line?

One article stated putting gas through the liquid line, whereas the supplier of my gear said do it on the gas line. I'm planning on doing force carb at 45psi for about 12 hours in the kegerator without rolling or shaking or anything.

.... Also, took this photo of the FV last night. I'm getting a lot of foam! I read a few articles saying I should rig up a 'blow off tube', however I haven't got the stuff to do that, so currently just taking off the airlock, cleaning it out and putting it back on with some fresh water. The current temp is perfect for the yeast based on the guidelines but I've dropped the temp on my InkBird by 1 degree to hopefully slow it down a little bit. Hopefully it still comes out good.

Gotta admit I'm enjoying the step up from bottles to kegging - SWMBO thinks I'm addicted as it's all I'm talking about. ... I'm hanging for the ROTM to come out. If it's not before the time I keg this one, I'm going to order ingredients for Summer Pacific Ale..... If I order the ROTM as well, how long can you lit it just sit in the cupboard? Do ingredients go bad??

1049145368_Kegfoam.thumb.jpg.515225b8ed854f4449134113830937da.jpg

2 hours ago, Titans19 said:
  • Is it advisable to cold crash in the FV then pour into the keg? OR  pour in keg and cold crash in there?

others say do in the FV so you don't get sediment/hops in bottom of keg that can then block the liquid line.... What is the best process?  <-- IMO this is. Why put solids in your keg if you don't have to? 

I also don't have a tube to syphon from FV to the Keg. Is it ok to just have it pour from the FV tap into the keg?
No. You will oxidate the hell out of it with all that splashing.

Do you force carbonate on the liquid line to come from the bottom of keg? Or just sit it on the gas in line?
Most people just put the gas on the gas post. But that takes time unless you do some rocking & rolling. I got a carbonation lid - it has a gas post on it and line with a bubbler on the end (basically an airstone) that drops near the bottom of the keg. Every so often I pop the PRV and I can hear the gas bubbling up through the beer. It's just the equivalent of using the beer out post with a gas line.

Also, took this photo of the FV last night. I'm getting a lot of foam! I've never had enough to go into the airlock although I regularly get maybe 8+ cm of Kraussen.  Maybe invest in a full size FV? I'm guessing that's a craft one you have there?

Do ingredients go bad?? Not in the time frame you are talking about. 😄 Yeast probably has the shortest life and in the fridge that can be a year. (Dry yeast - not sure about liquid but it would be months is my guess)

• Like 1

Thanks Journeyman..

I'll make sure I cold crash in the FV and will try source something to syphon to the keg from a LHS. I'll pick up some hops at the same time as they won't go bad on the shelf.

With the carbonation lid, do you just change the gas over and leave it on after carbonating? Or release gas, swap lid around and pressurise back up?

Current FV is around 25l, and the sharpie mark is the 23l line.. It the FV that is sold from the LHS.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

Thanks Journeyman..

I'll make sure I cold crash in the FV and will try source something to syphon to the keg from a LHS. I'll pick up some hops at the same time as they won't go bad on the shelf.

With the carbonation lid, do you just change the gas over and leave it on after carbonating? Or release gas, swap lid around and pressurise back up?

Current FV is around 25l, and the sharpie mark is the 23l line.. It the FV that is sold from the LHS.

Cheers

1. I got some 10mm (I think) silicon tubing from Bunnings. I cut a section off the bottle wand that goes into it and also into the tap. It's long enough to reach the bottom of the keg and curl a bit so the beer swirls as it goes in but doesn't splash.

2.  I store hops in the freezer - last ages that way. Yeast in the fridge.

3. Carb lid - I release gas, swap lids and back on pressure. Giving it a gas release each time I go out there means after a couple of days it is likely at serving pressure but I also leave it longer because I found if you can wait 2 weeks in the keg the beer is noticeably better.

4. I have 3 x FV's, all different, but they are all 30L in size. Maybe cut your brew size back - the kegs are only 19L anyway so make 20L brews? (also makes them stronger 😄 )

Carb lid... New Carbonation Keg Lid - Fits 19L New & Used Keg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

I fill straight to keg from fv at temp 20/21c

I cold crash keg for 2/3days before I turn up the CO2 to carb 

Hardly get any sediment in first poor and even the last poor 

You can cut the dip tube 1 inch if you are really worried but my kegs have Little sediment in them at all

My experience is let it ferment a little longer I know they say 7days I find around 10 to 11 days is good for me.

and  I don't fill the keg with the crap from the fv from below the tap I make 21lts and the keg is only 19ltd that leave me around 3 long necks to bottle they may have a bit in them but they go to friends lol 🤣

• Like 1