Coopers Community

what's your other area of expertise?

Stickers

hello, am new to this forum and to homebrew in general, only on my first batch and have much to learn.. so i've joined up here, read a fair few posts and fair to say i have much to learn.. but learning is fun.

i'm in melbourne, mid 40s and picked a good time to get into learning how to roast chickens and make homebrew, have spent most of this year learning how to make the sort of roast you'd be happy to invite your nana around to sample and have always been thinking about setting up for homebrew, but never really had much spare time until the restrictions hit and i went down to reduced working hours and bought a coopers kit and some extra bits like a temp controller/heat belt and bottling tree. my dad's been doing homebrew for a decade or so so i've been pestering him with noob questions, bless.

during the 'day' i work in print and since covid nearly half my work is label and sticker related, mostly for food and booze. keeps me working and importantly, interested still.

so aside from home brew, what are you all up to / in to  / working with?

Hey @Stickers, Welcome to the Forum buddy.  If you want to learn here is the place to be.

What was your first brew?  Standard Lager or something a bit more adventurous?

I count myself as one of the lucky ones.  I work with small scale private developments and have been able to continue to work from home.  In fact, this week we had double the number of referrals that we have been getting for a while.  So hopefully work is ongoing.

You will find we are a helpful bunch of brewers, in case you had not already noticed. Again, welcome to what some call "The Rabbit Hole" that is home brewing.

• Like 3

Welcome @Stickers
I haul sh1t across Adelaide for a living. Some of my work peers call themselves bus drivers but we're probably more like garbos. 😄 
When I'm not working I'm usually trying to punt my way out of poverty. Needless to say I'm still living in poverty. But I won't quit. Quitters never win, winners never quit! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Stickers, Welcome to the Forum buddy.  If you want to learn here is the place to be.

What was your first brew?  Standard Lager or something a bit more adventurous?

just the pack in to start with, i want to get the hang of things like temperature before i start branching out.

• Like 1

Welcome @Stickers!

You’ll find in the forum, a bunch of friendly banter, a few well directed jabs and the occasional (verbal) knife fight, bit like any night at your local pub. But in all honestly, there is a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge here.

I got back into brewing a couple of years ago after a long hiatus, but loving the journey and am making and enjoying some great beers.

In my day job I’m a Data Engineer, basically pull data from multiple places, sticky tape it together and hopefully make it into a coherent picture for someone to analyse. It pays the bills and leaves me some brewing change 😊

• Like 2

Other areas of expertise include african percussion (performing, teaching and building), squash ref and coach, former rockclimbing instructor, woodturner, and beloved of my wife (that's my strongest field of expertise 😜)

Edited by Waynealford
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

You should hear me when I'm angry

1 hour ago, Lab Cat said:

We have.

@Lab Cat You show little respect for those on the forum that have come before you. These same people have given great advice & assistance to other brewers in their time here over the journey, so much so that a new generation of home brewers is establishing here on the forum with good knowledge & thinking, adding to the credibility of helpfulness here on the Coopers forum.

I don't care that you don't particularly like me personally as I can be a little confrontational at times that puts people offside with me. I get it.

But Ben 10? 🤔

If you have nothing nice or positive to say then perhaps move onto to another thread where you can add something helpful or positive.

What we should all be lucky enough to enjoy right now is to hear less from you.

/rant over.

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, Stickers said:

...so aside from home brew, what are you all up to / in to  / working with?

Wine making!  😜

Work is scarce these days but I'm otherwise into music production, recording/mixing/mastering etc.  Photography (and some video editing).  Worked for many years in a past life in IT and a life prior to that - electronic engineering etc. 

• Like 1