Coopers Community

Sour taste at the end of the beer

Bingilbeer

Hi All,

I have been brewing Coopers kit beers and have also started adding hops plus some of the Coopers brew enhancers. I haven’t moved into all grain brewing yet as I still need to acquire more equipment.

I have noticed with all the beers I have made they seem to have a slight almost sour taste at the end.  I do bottle in the Coopers PET bottles and also I have some 500ml swing top bottles.

The head retention on the brews all seems good and  the taste up front is nice, it just seems to be right at the end. 
Is this just a part and parcel of the Coopers DIY beers or am i doing something wrong, best case they still taste better than the majority of mainstream beers.

cheers in advance for any info or ideas.

Having no beer left always leaves a sour taste in my mouth!

If it is sediment related then you could try the following:

• Chill in the fridge for a longer period to ensure the sediment drops out and compacts.
  • Pour slowly and try not to disturb the sediment too much.
  • leave the last few centimetres of beer behind
  • If it’s a long neck, pour the whole bottle (excluding the last bit) into a jug. The second pour from the bottle is always more cloudy.
  • Like 1

I'm thinking it will be the yeast. Coopers Pale and Sparkling bottles have the yeast sediment and some people don't like them 'rolled' because it gives a sour taste - I never minded it but I've heard people in the pub ask for very gentle handling and a glass to pour it into so it isn't sour.

You don't say whether you're using a glass (head retention comment implies you are) and it's the last of the bottle that is sour or the bottom of the glass in each drink. If you are tasting the yeast the 1st glass should be fine and the last of the bottle would have the taste. (unless you're being rough with the first pour 😄 )

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Having no beer left always leaves a sour taste in my mouth!

If it is sediment related then you could try the following:

• Chill in the fridge for a longer period to ensure the sediment drops out and compacts.
  • Pour slowly and try not to disturb the sediment too much.
  • leave the last few centimetres of beer behind
  • If it’s a long neck, pour the whole bottle (excluding the last bit) into a jug. The second pour from the bottle is always more cloudy.

I agree on the sour taste when no beer left as well hairy.

Shamus to seems to think it’s probably just the yeast which isn’t an issue with me and I believe he is right.  

seeing as though it is the yeast I’m not that concerned, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

all good

47 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm thinking it will be the yeast. Coopers Pale and Sparkling bottles have the yeast sediment and some people don't like them 'rolled' because it gives a sour taste - I never minded it but I've heard people in the pub ask for very gentle handling and a glass to pour it into so it isn't sour.

You don't say whether you're using a glass (head retention comment implies you are) and it's the last of the bottle that is sour or the bottom of the glass in each drink. If you are tasting the yeast the 1st glass should be fine and the last of the bottle would have the taste. (unless you're being rough with the first pour 😄 )

Cheers. Journeyman. After reading the replies it seems it is just yeast which doesn’t bother me. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

all good.

@Bingilbeer is it actually a sour taste or is it a bitter "after-taste"?  When I say bitter after-taste like when you have drank maybe too many beers and the taste just heads slightly south and in an "bit of a sour direction".  Say like you think you need a rum or bourbon and coke to finish off the night as you are a little bit over the taste of beer (if that make sense)?  

My hoppy beers tend to give me a so called sour taste nearing the end of a few glasses so just guessing if it's the same thing we are talking about here.

Cheer - AL

Edited by iBooz2