Coopers Community

did I bottle my brew too early?

vish

Hello,

I am brewing an IPA using a wort kit. Final gravity reading stayed the same at 1.004 for 2 days. So I thought it was time to bottle. At the time of bottling the krausen didnt completely crash. But it was not foamy either. It was falling apart. I tasted the sample before brewing and it was fine. After one day of bottling I see a small ring forming at the top of the bottle. I tried opening one bottle to see whats happening.  It was not gushing but I can see it forming a fuzzy layer at the top. Did I bottle it too early? I bottled on the 7th day of the fermentation. The OG was at 1.053.

Edited by vish

At 1.004 for 2 days you could safely say it's finished primary ferment. There might be an infection in your beer but it's nothing to worry about. I occasionally have had these rings around the necks. While they look unappealing the beer has tasted fine and I've drank them all. I'm still here to tell you about it. 🙂 
It would pay to make sure your cleaning and sanitising processes are up to a good standard. Happy brewing.

I used stellarsan and properly sanitised everything that came in contact with the brew. I am just worried if I should be looking out for any bottle bombs due to overcarbonation.

2 minutes ago, vish said:

I used stellarsan and properly sanitised everything that came in contact with the brew. I am just worried if I should be looking out for any bottle bombs due to overcarbonation.

With your SG as low as 1.004 I don't think you should be too concerned but to give yourself peace of mind, are you able to store the bottles somewhere safe? eg. in boxes in a shed for instance. It's easier to hose out a shed than a spare bedroom. 😉 

Hi.

What was the yeast used? Some are quite active and leave behind krausen in the bottle.

FWK as an IPA probably had a dry hop added to it, I’ve found big dry hops can leave the ring behind too.

I think it will probably be fine but if you’re worried about then it can’t hurt to add some distance from them. Just make sure you keep them warm.

Yea I used safale - US-05. I just stored them inside a cupboard. And yes I dry hopped towards the end of the fermenting for 48 hours or so

Edited by vish
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

Didn’t you use US-05 yeast?

If so, that Krausen hangs around for ages, even when it has finished fermenting.

Sorry, I meant to say “Did you use US-05?”.

2 hours ago, vish said:

Yea I used safale - US-05. I just stored them inside a cupboard. And yes I dry hopped towards the end of the fermenting for 48 hours or so

All good. Although 1004 is fairly low. It may be correct but you may want to check your hydrometer is calibrated.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

Sorry, I meant to say “Did you use US-05?”.

All good. Although 1004 is fairly low. It may be correct but you may want to check your hydrometer is calibrated.

I just checked my hydrometer reading in tap water at room temperature. It reads 0.997. 3 points below 1. Does that mean I need to add 3 points to all my readings? I am using a coppers hydrometer with a red tip

2 minutes ago, vish said:

I just checked my hydrometer reading in tap water at room temperature. It reads 0.997. 3 points below 1. Does that mean I need to add 3 points to all my readings? I am using a coppers hydrometer with a red tip

Around 20°?

If so, then that is correct. Add 3 points to your readings. 1007 sounds closer to the mark for FG too for an IPA FWK using US-05.

• Like 2