Coopers Community

Australian Pale Ale

Hi all!

About to start a brew Coopers ‘Australian Pale Ale‘....is there anyone who thinks this brew could be enhanced with hops etc? I’m new to the whole process, so keep to here if this is fine (with the Coopers Enhancer) or if it needs ‘more’.

Any tips appreciated.

cheers!

• Like 1

The Coopers Pale Ale is quite good by its self. If you are new to brewing a good approach is to brew the Pale Ale with the Coopers enhancer. If you like the style the next brew of Pale Ale could be dry hopped with say Citra Hops then you can try something more adventurous with the next brew. You are then starting to enter The Rabbit Hole!!

• Thanks 1

I've never done any dry hops but I have added hop teas to the APA. Usually around 20g steeped for 30 minutes added to the brew when mixing it all together. EKG hops was good, Cluster hops were even better. Keep in mind, this is my tastes. Yours may differ.
Good luck with it.
Oh, I usually add brew enhancer 2 as my fermentable.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Thanks 1

Look at the sharkfin summer ale

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/shark-fin-summer-ale.html

I’ve changed it up a bit

200gr golden promise malt

12gr cascade in the boil for 30 min

12gr galaxy in the boil for 20 min

then as per the original recipie until dry hop which is 15gr of cascade and same of galaxy, and because I like it fruity once I think the SG has started to level, I put an extra 15gr of galaxy in, then keg it the following evening.

Due to supply issues I’ve substituted galaxy with citra for my last keg and will get a taste of that this week sometime. And now I’ve also run out of cascade so substituted that for Amarillo. As you can guess I like the nice citrusy flavour and aromas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Made my first Hoppy APA today. (Slight variation on recipe by Gash at Cellar Dweller.)

Ingredients: 

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale (pre-hopped extract)

1.5kg can of liquid Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract

500g Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (150g Dextrose, 100g Maltodextrin, 250g LDME)

45g Amarillo Hops & 30g Cascade Hops

Safale US-05 Yeast 11g

The hops are split evenly into three additions.

15g Amarillo and 10g Cascade. (15min, 1min, Dry Hop)

Made to 23ltrs

Tested OG. 1.054 (hydrometer)

Initial taste: Delicious super malty flavour and the additional hops flavour additions are spot on, and not too much. Also it's not too bitter either. I think it will be a really nice beer.

It's my first trial with a new Hydrom linked to Brewblox software installed on a Raspberry Pi, and also the first try of my dry Hop "grenade" 

IMG_7988.jpeg

• Like 5

After 7 days in FV and reaching the bottom of the SG for the last two days I bottled x 29 740ml bottles of the Hoppy APA made above. 

OG 1054. FG 1015. ABV (inc bottle priming) is - 5.6%

Taste test.  Drank a mug straight out of the FV. Cooled from 16 deg start for 1hr in the fridge. 🤪 Light fruity aroma, a bit hoppy (not too much) and not too bitter. Very yummy 🤤.  Recommend people try this one if you are looking to take extract brewing a step further. It’s worth it 😎

IMG_8001.jpeg

Edited by Back2Brewing
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Back2Brewing said:

Hoppy APA. OMG 😱 Sooo yummy 🤤. If you like Pale Ales and want to give them a bit of a lift, as well as upping your extract brewing, you are going to want to brew one of these for warm days. 

IMG_8013.jpeg

Hasn't that only been in the bottle for a few days? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes Sir. 5 days in bottles and I always do a pre-2 week test sample. Big on malt and a good yeast and no yeast taste. Sure it’s a bit low on carbonation, but it still tastes awesome 😎. In a few weeks it will be even better. 👌

Edited by Back2Brewing
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Back2Brewing said:

Yes Sir. 5 days in bottles and I always do a pre-2 week test sample. Big on malt and a good yeast and no yeast taste. Sure it’s a bit low on carbonation, but it still tastes awesome 😎. In a few weeks it will be even better. 👌

I usually take a test at the 1 week mark, but always find it bit sweet, probably from the priming sugar. It's not til usually about 3 weeks in that it starts to be near mature enough to get drinking. But it all depends on how low Ive run down my supplies. 😅

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I usually take a test at the 1 week mark, but always find it bit sweet, probably from the priming sugar. It's not til usually about 3 weeks in that it starts to be near mature enough to get drinking. But it all depends on how low Ive run down my supplies. 😅

I don't bother with any of that, in fact I haven't had a taste of any brew until it is kegged/bottled for as long as I can remember.

I can't see much point until the first pour.

Mine have always turned out fine.

• Like 1

Two weeks in bottles tomorrow so I had to have another one. Yummo. Good carbonation, great colour, great flavor and mouth feel. I think this will be my quick go to Summer beer. For most, this recipe will not be a lot of hops, but on the next one I'll dial back the hop quantities about 1/3 at the same ratio to try to find the happy medium for my taste for a session brew.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Bottled another Hoppy Pale Ale the other day. I said in a previous post I may drop the ratio of hop additions, but I found as the beer matured in the bottles, the hoppiness mellowed somewhat, so I left it the same. A bit more in the dry hop as there was just a bit left in the near empty hop packet so I threw it in.

Quick Stats:

OG 1.059

FG: 1.017

Day 1 - 12 Oct 2023 (Thurs - 10-18 deg. C)

Hoppy APA (Slight variation on recipe by Gash at Cellar Dweller.)

Ingredients: 

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale (pre-hopped extract)

500g Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (150g Dextrose, 100g Maltodextrine, 250g LDME)

1.5kg can of liquid Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract (1.2kg malt)

307gm LDME  (leftover in an open packet)

(Total  extra malt = 1757g not Inc pre-hopped extract)

50g Amarillo Hops

30g Cascade Hops

Safale US-05 Yeast 11g

5g yeast nutrient 

Split up the hops evenly into two additions for the boil. 

15g Amarillo and 10g Cascade. (15min & 1min)

Dry hop. 10g Cascade. 20g Amarillo using my dry Hop "grenade".

Made to 23ltrs. 

Tasting when bottling: Delicious super malty flavour and the additional hops are spot on and not too much. Also it's not too bitter either. I think it will be a nice beer.

• Like 3