G00DSY

Cold Crash / Bottle Carbonation

Hi Guys,

I’ve only cold crashed a couple of times, but both times my beer was fairly flat out of the bottle.  A vigorous pour from height would get a head, but waaay flatter than all my other brews.  Is it merely a coincidence?  Or has anyone had similar experiences?  Could CCing be taking too much yeast out of suspension...?

Cc Brew #1 was a k&k, Cc brew #2 was biab ag.  Both bottled in a combination of glass and pet, all with coopers carb drops.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

Edited by G00DSY

Hi Goodsy,

I cold crash but only for a day or 2.

I usually get my bottles at good carbonation after 7 days in the bottle.

In the colder  weather I have to keep them warm.

I either put them in the ferment fridge set to 19-20degC, or in a big black plastic container (from Bunnings) and I will put a hot water bottle just filled from the kettle once a day or so.

Cheers

James

Hi Goodsy,

I cold crash for about 4 days.

Hardly ever have issues with carbonation. 

Like James says.  Keep the bottles warm and you should be right.

I recently had a brew where the bottles were not up to the level of carbonation I liked . In other words they were flat. I re-primed each bottle with one carbonation drop and they all turned out well carbonated.

The next batch I did I put 2 carbonation drops in each 330 ml bottle. All were excellent.

A word of caution when doing this. I used Asahi crown seal bottles which are very robust. Most bottles including the current Asahi crown seal bottles are very thin and I would not use them in fear of exploding bottles.

Sounds like a bottle temp issue more than anything. Cold crashing won't remove enough yeast to prevent carbonation occurring, but it's possible the bottles just didn't warm up enough. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

In other words they were flat. I re-primed each bottle with one carbonation drop and they all turned out well carbonated.

The next batch I did I put 2 carbonation drops in each 330 ml bottle. All were excellent.

You obviously like well carbonated beer? My son in-law is the same he thinks all my beers are flat. I keg and serve at 10psi and think they are perfect and every time he has a beer here he says "they need more carbonation". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sounds like a bottle temp issue more than anything. Cold crashing won't remove enough yeast to prevent carbonation occurring, but it's possible the bottles just didn't warm up enough. 

This. ^

At this time of year my beer can take 2 weeks or more to carbonate, unless I get them to a consistently warm spot in the house. In summer, 2-3 days.

I haven't CC for a long time, but started again as I bulk prime now, so need a well set trub before stirring in sugar. No difference at all in how the beer carbonates IME

Edited by Lab Cat

According to the "Yeast"  book by Chris White (boss of Whitelabs) beer can look absolutely crystal clear to the human eye but still contain more than enough yeast cells to kick off bottle conditioning. I've had a Russian Imperial Stout that sat for about two months in cold conditioning and it came good, although took about three weeks with bottle shaking every few days.

My 2 cents on this. As the secondary ferment happens the whole bottle expands including the threads at the cap. When you throw one in the fridge co2 goes into solution and the bottle will contract somewhat. The harder plastic of the cap takes more time to reset to its original shape therefore leaving a path for the co2 to escape. Just a theory though.

Thanks guys, fingers crossed it improves with more time.  Temp is around 22deg, in the same utility room as the hot water system.... 

My only 2 CCd brews is not a big sample, but the sample is much bigger with the collective experience here... thanks.

cheers!