Coopers Community

Anyone have experience with prebuilt kegerators?

Looks like Best Buy has an Insignia kegerator on sale for $399!! Now I know that I could probably build one for around that price, but my time is worth something honestly. Does anyone have experience with kegerators like this? Is it worth it, or would building a keezer really be worth the extra work?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See: https://reviewwhore.com/best-kegerator-under-500/

I have both, bought a 2 tap Kegerator then decided to build my own keezer.

IMO the keezer works better (not because I built it ), but temp wise, get a better pour, direct pull out through a timber (insulated ) collar.

Downside to keezer, loading full 19L kegs in it, not good on the back.

Next one I build will be a converted fridge, easier on the back & not getting any younger.

Just my opinion fellow brewers, I guess you just go with what you can afford and what works for you time wise etc.

Cheers RD44🍺🍺

• 2 weeks later...

I brought a X series in may 3 taps font whole kit and caboodle free delivery $699 yes definitely I could have brought it all cheaper than this etc and be drilling holes in the top blah blah end of Day may have saved a $100 or drilled through a refrigerator coil line and thrown $199 in the bin.

old keezers and fridges are great , $50 fridge $100 tap kit and  off you go but still need things like inkbird etc with keezers, old fridge freezes up one day etc eventually it all adds up. 

Id say it's a 50/50  question build or buy myself I've done both but can't find any fault with my new X series to-date.

Edited by Boozadog
Spelling
  • Like 1

Depends on your situation I guess. For me the pre built ones suit me better, as it sits under a bar. Works fine, pre drilled hole for the gas lines to go in through the back, font sticks out the top. 

The only thing I changed was getting a stainless drip tray instead of the ugly black plastic one, and replaced the standard font with a flooded cobra font. 

When I first got it I just bought the kegerator by itself and put my own choice of taps etc on it. That way I already started with what I wanted instead of upgrading later. 

I had to replace my original kegerator last year as it stopped chilling properly but it has been repurposed as a fermentation fridge, which it does a great job at.