Coopers Community

Question for lager lovers.

ChristinaS1

Question for the lager lovers out there: what is your favourite bitterness level for yellow lagers? Please express your answer in BU:GU. And please describe your late hop additions. Do you use a flameout addition and, if so, how many g/L, and for how long. 

Thanks in advance,

Christina.

I generally do them to style so it is the ratios and the IBU that my software has preset for them.  I generally do a a bittering addition then a 20 and a 10 minute for aroma an flavour.  g/l will be to the IBU desired for the additions to get to the correct ratio and IBU for style.   Gee i hope that makes sense.  Last Pilsner I did 2.3g/l for bittering and then 1.6g/l for the latter addition but have done 2.3g/l and 2.1g/l . Hope that helps. 

Even though I make lager generally I make Pilsners with the occasional Vienna Lager thrown in.  Love Vienna it is a glorious malt.   I suppose i should add that they are generally a Noble hop so the AA% is not huge. Sazz in the Pils is in the 3.3% range. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

Depends on what style I'm brewing. Pilsners I use close to 1 (usually around 45 IBU to a ~1.050 OG), other German styles a bit lower. 

For pils I use some late additions, usually a 15 minute and flameout. These are around the 30-40g mark for a 21 litre batch, however the boil volume is closer to 30 litres. Does that change the g/L? These amounts are smaller than the early additions which is where most of the IBUs come from, those are more around 60-70g. I'm not home at the moment but from memory I get about 85% of the bitterness from the early additions. Maybe more. 

I haven't done a German style lager for a while, I think I just used a 15 minute addition in it without a flameout but I can't remember. Not sure of amounts either, but I reckon they were more around 20-25g. Similarly most of the bitterness from early additions. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Does that change the g/L

That's a good question! I've always thought about it in terms of fermented g/L.

If it were g/L at the time hops were added it would be much more difficult to calculate as you'd have to consider timing and boil-off rate, so I suspect the answer is "no"

On 7/27/2020 at 12:13 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Question for the lager lovers out there: what is your favourite bitterness level for yellow lagers? Please express your answer in BU:GU. And please describe your late hop additions. Do you use a flameout addition and, if so, how many g/L, and for how long. 

Thanks 

For my budvar pils I am 30 IBU to 1050 OG. 90, 30 and 10 additions 

For my Aussie lagers im ~ 30 IBU to 1048 ish OG and a 60 min addition only

Never used a flameout addition for any lager but if i ever get around to making a NZ lager ( will never call it a pilsener ) then I think it will happen then. 🙂

• Thanks 1