Coopers Community

Mash ph spot on no additions, likely?

Titan

Really the first time measuring mash ph. Without any additions measured value was 5.33. Beverage doctor ph meter calibrated in known solution, Melbourne water and recipe on Brew day thread. Is this likely?

Yep. Depending on your starting water pH. Carbonates in your water and your grain bill entirely likely.

To put it in perspective the only beer I need to adjust down is if I do a light coloured beer in my town water. If I do the same beer in rain water its not required. If i do a dark beer like a porter or stout then I need to add calcium carbonate to bring the carbonates up otherwise it gets too acidic.

I dont know your water profile but unless it has high carbonates or is very alkaline then the majority of times you probably wont need to do any adjustment.

• Thanks 2

On 7/25/2020 at 10:42 AM, Titan said:

Really the first time measuring mash ph.

Me too, Titan.

• 5.20 (pH meter) in a Golden Ale, standard 23L batch, with a teaspoon each of Epsom Salt, Gypsum and Calcium Chloride (following somebody else's suggestion)
  • 4.8 (pH strips) in a Vienna Lager - 7g Gypsum, 7g Chalk, pinch of Epsom Salt, Calcium Chloride ('cause that's what Beersmith said to add)
  • 4.8 (pH strips) in a Pale Ale - 2g Chalk, 14g Gypsum, 3g Calcium Chloride, 3g Baking Soda (Bicarb), 8g Epsom Salt ('cause that's what Beersmith said to add)

In summary, with me using Melbourne Water in the outer SE suburbs, I reckon without additions, the pH would be fine, except for dark beers as Greeny suggests.

• Like 1

I think Greeny and I are on similar water.

I make additions to lighter beers but not really for pH, it is more to add some calcium, sulfates etc.

But I always add Calcium Carbonate to my dark beers for the reason of pH.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Me too, Titan.

• 5.20 (pH meter) in a Golden Ale, standard 23L batch, with a teaspoon each of Epsom Salt, Gypsum and Calcium Chloride (following somebody else's suggestion)
  • 4.8 (pH strips) in a Vienna Lager - 7g Gypsum, 7g Chalk, pinch of Epsom Salt, Calcium Chloride ('cause that's what Beersmith said to add)
  • 4.8 (pH strips) in a Pale Ale - 2g Chalk, 14g Gypsum, 3g Calcium Chloride, 3g Baking Soda (Bicarb), 8g Epsom Salt ('cause that's what Beersmith said to add)

In summary, with me using Melbourne Water in the outer SE suburbs, I reckon without additions, the pH would be fine, except for dark beers as Greeny suggests.

Yeah beersmith and mash ph prediction is about as accurate as me on the ponies at Rosehill lately. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah beersmith and mash ph prediction is about as accurate as me on the ponies at Rosehill lately. 

I don’t find the beer smith predictions that bad. Between a cheap pH meter, the sometimes questionable beer smith predictions and RO water, I generally have been landing right where I need too, give or take a small extra addition of lactic acid. I would like to mention though....the suggested addition of lactic acid is always about double the amount it should be so I just halve it and we’re all Gucci. 

• Like 1

My mash pH is annoying me. I have the keg land pH Meter.  Last week's IPA where I added 4mls of lactic acid , gypsum and Epsom. My mash ph read 6.3. Grain bill was pale malt and Munich. Surely that can't be right. 

My water pH is 6.8 ( and yes I know the mash pH is what matters) but if my water is that and I treat it how is it ending in that range ?

20 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

My mash pH is annoying me. I have the keg land pH Meter.  Last week's IPA where I added 4mls of lactic acid , gypsum and Epsom. My mash ph read 6.3. Grain bill was pale malt and Munich. Surely that can't be right. 

My water pH is 6.8 ( and yes I know the mash pH is what matters) but if my water is that and I treat it how is it ending in that range ?

Something's not right there. I would think with that lactic acid you would be in the right range.

Can you test the pH meter in some fresh calibration solution?