Coopers Community

Cooling a hop boil

davids47

20 minutes ago, davids47 said:

when i do a hop boil 60 min 15 min , strain into fermenter , can i leave it over night to cool to room temp  safely before adding yeast

Possibly, but you do have increased risk of infection.

Is it a full batch boil? If it is only a few litres then have some cold water on hand to add to the FV and drop the temp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davids47 said:

when i do a hop boil 60 min 15 min , strain into fermenter , can i leave it over night to cool to room temp  safely before adding yeast

I strongly advise against this for the risk of infection that Hairy has already mentioned.

If the volume & pot are suitably sized, place it in a sink & surround with cold water for 20 minutes or so, then strain into your fermenter.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Take one or two (depending on the amount of liquid you want to cool) 1l sanitised food safe containers, fill it with water and freeze it overnight, then drop the big ice block into the pot with the hot liquid. That'll cool it of fairly quickly.