Coopers Community

Slightly lower OG when using Wheat Malt

G'day fellow brewers.

On the weekend I did a batch of Stone & Wood Pacific Ale using 60/40 pale malt to wheat malt.

Crushed the grains myself and adjusted the roller gap for both types of grain. Although I think I milled the wheat a little course. Anyway, proceeded with the brewday on the BZ 3.1.1 and had no issues. Checked OG at the end of the boil and was a little low: Brewfather says 1.045 and got 1.040.

So I decided instead of having slightly lower ABV I would brew another batch stronger, and mix them both together to get a similar result to what I wanted in the first place with double the beer. So I made up another recipe and the OG for this one according the Brewfather targetted 1.052. I ensured my crush was fine enough so that all wheat and pale grains were definitely cracked - there were none that weren't cracked.

Added some rice hulls in too as the crush was pretty fine. Got it mashing without any issues and went through the whole process without any dramas.

Checked the OG and although it was much closer, it was still a little low: Brewfather stated 1.052 and I got around 1.049.

I have always got pretty much spot on to my Brewfather OG targets (if not higher efficiency), but have never used this much wheat (before this the most wheat I have used is 500g).

In both cases my recirculation and sparge was fine so that should not have effected my efficiency. My water levels and outcomes were both pretty spot on too on both batches.

Below is the original recipe. Any ideas? I'm not too fussed. The end product will only be a little weaker than I was aiming for once I mix them together and ferment in a double batch.

115825081_202376554537664_2173038493695131272_n.png?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=7ZCuTKn124UAX-_o0H3&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd7-1.fna&oh=b0e7c6be8a463ed35cc8e6d667e7dc0e&oe=5F3BE243