Coopers Community

Pale Ale

haveachat

Coopers Brewery currently package Sparkling Ale, Best Extra Stout and Original Pale Ale in 750ml bottles.

The first recorded brew by Thomas Cooper on 13 May 1862 was bottled into Quarts (40fl.oz.).

Interestingly, within the brewery, we continue to call the tall bottles "quarts" even though 750ml is equivalent to 26fl.oz and 375ml bottles are known as "pints".

Original Pale Ale was launched in 1989 as only a draught beer but, due to it's increasing popularity, it was soon packaged in both 375ml and 750ml bottles.

Oliver, your post prompted me to hunt for more accurate details rather than rely on the memory of a couple of long term employees and the Jolly Good Ale and Old book.

Original Pale Ale was first put into 750ml bottles, circa June 1998.

If you ask around the brewery you will find out that they brought out a Dinner ale many years (at least 30 yrs) ago in bottles and cans and that was a green label simaler to the Pale ale out now. I have a 370mL can of it so it must have been around. Someone will be able to give you more details than I can.

Yes, although Orginal Pale Ale is based on the old Light Dinner Ale it is not exactly the same.

In the late 1800s to early 1900s Coopers Brewery sold Sparkling Ale and a Sparkling Ale (Light Brew) which then became Light Ale. Light Ale disappeared in the late 1930s and then returned as Light Dinner Ale in the early 1960s.

Archived