Coopers Community

Peanut butter porter

Aussiekraut

I 'm thinking about making a peanut butter porter. I have some peanut butter powder on order and looking at recipes, they all seem to add the powder to the boil. However they also mention that it makes a helluva mess in the kettle. Is it possible to put the peanut powder into the mash? Or will this cause even more dramas like stuck mash/sparge, with the powder turning into glue? I really don't want to mess up the recirc pump with caked in peanut butter powder.

Any suggestions?

15 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Any suggestions?

Dare say mash or boil would do the same thing. Why not into the fermenter? Doen it need to be cooked? If so dump some wort into a pot and boil it on the stove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Dare say mash or boil would do the same thing. Why not into the fermenter? Doen it need to be cooked? If so dump some wort into a pot and boil it on the stove.

Thanks Ben, that's not a bad idea. From what I gather it gets a short boil and then goes into the FV with the wort, so this probably not a bad way to do it.

30 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Is it PB2?

I used it in a Stout FWK once. I added it to the FV on Day 1.

I'm not sure whether it was the powder or something else but it was one of the worst beers I have ever made.

Yes, it is PB2. 

Why was it bad? I had a peanut butter porter a couple of weeks ago and loved it. So I thought I'd give it a try. 

11 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Just thinking out loud, could you not create that peanut character with real peanuts crushed as part of the mash much like what has been done successfully with hazelnuts? 🤔

Just a thought.

Lusty.

That's what I thought too but apparently, there is too much oil in peanuts to use them in brewing. Peanut butter powder has most of the oil removed and is the better choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, it is PB2. 

Why was it bad? I had a peanut butter porter a couple of weeks ago and loved it. So I thought I'd give it a try. 

I have had some peanut butter beers that were great. Unfortunately mine wasn’t. It had a really bad aftertaste; an artificial flavour thing.

PB2 has been used successfully by others so I presume it was just something I did, or didn’t do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I have had some peanut butter beers that were great. Unfortunately mine wasn’t. It had a really bad aftertaste; an artificial flavour thing.

PB2 has been used successfully by others so I presume it was just something I did, or didn’t do.

Did a hair fall in?

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Did a hair fall in?

Better than even chance of that for sure...

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Perhaps some nuts did!

Ewwwww!!

On another front, our former Coopers moderator/mentor would definitely not like being linked to this conversation one iota I would think! 😉

Lusty.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, Aussiekraut said:

That's what I thought too but apparently, there is too much oil in peanuts to use them in brewing. Peanut butter powder has most of the oil removed and is the better choice.

The fat content varies between 45% (cashews) and 75% (macadamias). Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamias and pistachios are good sources of monounsaturated fatty acids (> 55%). Peanuts and pecans are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids (both > 40%), whereas Brazil nuts, pines and walnuts have the highest polyunsaturated fatty acid content (> 50 %). The mean total sterol composition (including campesterol, ergosterol, stigmasterol and β‐sitosterol) oscillated from 48 mg (Brazil nuts) to 139 mg (Pistachios) per 100 g nuts. Campesterol, ergosterol and stigmasterol were minor phytosterol components (< 10 mg).

Taken from https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.24.1_supplement.721.5

Also information here http://www.containerhandbuch.de/chb_e/scha/index.html?/chb_e/scha/scha_17_03.html

I'd roast and mash like I did in my porter.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 8:05 PM, Hairy said:

Use Kraft peanut butter next time. "Never oily or dry". 😉

• Haha 3