Coopers Community

Single Hop IPA's

PaddyBrew2

I've done Citra , never again

I've done Mosaic, will brew again and again

I've heard good things about Amarillo single hop.  Anyone ever brew

I'm trying to refine my pallet so I know what each hop tastes like before I start mixing blindly following online recipes 

I do see the irony of asking for advice on recipes despite saying I shouldn't blindly follow before some smart ar$e points that out 😂

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Haha 1

It will be interesting see read the feedback you get from this query.

I used Citra with the Coopers Mexican Cerveza can and I liked it.  A good solid citrus aroma.  Some say cat wee, and I can understand that.

I have done these hops in combination with other hops in the same brew.

• Amarillo & Simcoe = Winner
  • Amarillo & Topaz & Vic Secret = Winner
  • Citra & Amarillo = Winner
  • Mosaic & Cascade = Winner x 2
  • Like 1

I personally am not a huge fan of Amarillo. For some reason all I get from it is an orange peel/sherbet  type flavour......well I think that’s what it is. I’ve done similar batches swapping the Amarillo for something else and that flavour seems to have been non existent when not used.

just a personal experience. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Dr Smurtos is a single hop golden ale. 
Ive done a single hop Amarillo and it was good. I think my first 40 beers were basically single hop beers. Or at least flavouring part was. 
I also did a lot of experiments with bittering hops and how they are perceived. 

As a single hop Amarillo is nice but I do think it goes better with something. 
Cashmere and Amarillo are really good, just picking something not already mentioned

• Like 2

I liked the Amarillo SMASH I did, a lot, it was one dimensional, so I mix Amarillo with anything that I want a nice orange hit to it, now. I felt it was worthwhile but totally agree that it goes well, even better mixed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Citra is a high AA hop. Maybe in smaller quantities it could be good? I found the same with Mosaic - bittered and steeped it was too much for me in a pale, but dry hopped it worked better.

I used Amarillo in a pale once and didn't like it. This is the thing with hops, you can get advice, but you'll only get people's preferences. You'll probably have to do the leg work with lone hops yourself and see what you like.

Just try it yourself.

Everyone has different tastes and you will get different responses. I you had asked about Citra I would have said that a Citra / Maris Otter SMASH pale ale I made was the best SMASH beer I have made.

• 2 weeks later...

I love a good single-hop IPA!

Actually, I have a Citra IPA in the pipeline so I'm surprised to hear you've sworn off of it. What was the issue?

I've done mosaic, simcoe and galaxy, and I think I did a single-hopped nelson something once but can't remember the exact style. I've also done a whooooooole bunch of smashes. With simcoe and galaxy I did a 60 minute boil but added the hops @30.

Hi PaddyBrew.

If you haven't done a straight Cascade SmaSh you're missing out. If you're interested in something a little different, maybe give Mt. Hood a go. I really rate the hop.

One I've wanted to try is Bravo.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did a cream ale with Amarillo. Was not pleasant at three weeks in the bottle.  At six weeks it was really nice and got better as time went on.  Planning on making it again. 

I used 14 grams in an 11.25 liter batch at 25 minutes left in the boil. Added another 14 grams at flameout and let them steep 15 minutes.

Edited by Panther Branch Brewing
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 10:02 AM, King Ruddager said:

I love a good single-hop IPA!

Actually, I have a Citra IPA in the pipeline so I'm surprised to hear you've sworn off of it. What was the issue?

I've done mosaic, simcoe and galaxy, and I think I did a single-hopped nelson something once but can't remember the exact style. I've also done a whooooooole bunch of smashes. With simcoe and galaxy I did a 60 minute boil but added the hops @30.

The harsh bitterness from the 60 minute boil. Really turned me off Citra 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

I'm trying to refine my pallet so I know what each hop tastes like before I start mixing blindly following online recipes 

I do see the irony of asking for advice on recipes despite saying I shouldn't blindly follow before some smart ar$e points that out 😂

Galaxy works well and so does Vic Secret. Hort 4337 and Mosaic are my favourites in a single hop beer. Made a Mosaic SMASH just last Sunday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

What’s a SMASH?

Single Malt and Single Hop. 

Usually an All Grain brew that uses only one malt/grain type and one type of hop.  They can be a bit one dimensional, but they show what you get from the malt and the hop.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

I've done Citra , never again.

Citra has a really high myrecene level, similar to Centennial and Mandarina Barvaria. Used on their own post fermentation can make the beer have a lot of hop bite. I find them best mixed with lower myrecene hops, of which Amarillo is a lovely example.  @QK 's suggestion of Amarillo&Citra sounds yummy. Might try that.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2