Coopers Community

Fermzilla users help!

Howdy. I received my 27ltr conical yesterday. 
I set it up and put some pressure on it..... leaks everywhere......out of the butterfly valve and also I think I’ve got a a dodgy gas disconnect on the lid.... 

on top of that my butterfly valve piece is stuck  some how and I can’t separate it from the tapered piece that goes into the actual fermenter. It just spins and clicks past the thread....I don’t think I over tightened it.... It certainly didn’t feel over tightened at the time...

so basically I’ve got a leaky piece of plastic that I can’t pull apart.....

any ideas on how to get the three pieces part? Besides contacting KL and screaming at someone?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So sorry for you Mitch.  I will  be constructive and suggest that you get onto the supplier immediately.   I know that this is a common problem. 

Cheers Marty. Wasn’t sure if I was doing something wrong or.... I’ll contact them.cheers

@MitchBastard Hey there Mitch, don't forget the thread on that conical section is opposite to the thread on the bottom collection container bottle.  I.E. the threads on the top (lid) sealing ring will need to be turned anti-clockwise to undo, looking from the top.  The bottom collection bottle will also need to be turned clockwise to undo, looking from the top.  The butterfly valve assembly and conical seal assembly is opposite i.e.  anti-clockwise to undo, looking from the top.   Therefore yours maybe just too lose.

Make sure you feel the butterfly handle notch into the the proper closed position, it will feel really firm and look closed but its not, just push it a tad further and you will fell it notch onto locked position, when there, its quite hard to go past that and open it up the other way.

Also check to see if yours has the new thicker "O" ring for the top cap as the new one is a slightly thicker diameter and will seal really well just being done up finger tight.  Make sure your SS handles around top neck is lose enough to just rotate around the plastic throat, not squeeze it tight so to make the top opening "out of round".

I also had a leak on one of the gas disconnects on the lid (SS type not plastic) and had to do it up with a spanner to make it seal properly.  I know in the videaos they say finger tight but I found with the SS connectors they need a tweak with a spanner the first time, I reckon to bed the seals inside the SS disconnects properly

Hope that helps.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Mitch @MitchBastard, I presumed you would have known the reverse thread bit but thought I would remind you just in case.  Sorry about that bit.

Can you put say 5 litres of water into it then quickly pressurize it up to say 20 psi.  Whilst the pressure is there which will be pressing on the internal conical seal piece try and undo the valve assembly.  If it is leaking you may have to work fast as pressure will drop quickly and water seep out.  The idea being is that the internal pressure will help clamp the conical rubber seal to the inside of the fermzilla body tight enough for you to do the job, well enough for you to do up or undo it anyway.  

Mine was assembled when it was shipped to me but it was loose and leaked, needed a tweak with that oil filter gizmo they provide.  Did this by placing my hand inside the unit and pressing the conical seal at the same time.  I have only taken it apart once since for cleaning over about 15 batches and when I re-assembled it just did it up a little firmer than snug (if you know what I mean) not over tight but just right IMO.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

@MitchBastard I presume you have watched this video from Kegland.  Also if it's the inside seal that is spinning can you put some duct tape around the edges (inside) to help seal and then try the pressure trick again.  OR get some of that jar opening grip mat and put that on the inside and roll up a hand towel into a ball and wedge it down on the inside whilst someone undoes the butterfly valve bit.  This might just hold it enough to undo so you can seen what  the hell is going on.

It may be cross threaded too.  This video shows which way the thing turns to do it up.  Good luck with it matey.

Cheers - AL

@iBooz2 hey Al, greatly appreciated. I hadn’t seen that video. I tried every method in there. No good.

I think what the actual problem is, the spigot is mis threaded and is keeping the dump valve and inner conical section together. I can get them loose but not apart. The spigot just spins either way. 

what I’ve managed is, to get it all tight and holding water and pressure. Not a complete fix as can’t get it apart but it’s doing its job for now..... makes me a little worried to put actual wort in it though.....

I bought it not really wanting to ferment under pressure to be honest, but more so for the dump valve dry hopping and ability to pressurize and close transfer to keg. I might be able to do that if there’s no major need to pull apart each time....

@MitchBastard,

Time to upload your videos to the Kegland website email address and follow up with a phone call tomorrow to get a quick resolution.  Its unacceptable to have a product shipped to you in that condition.  I know they ship them "sort of" assembled / loose fitting so the valves, lids etc are not tight and ready to go, you obviously have to snug all the bits up and do the pressure testing bit yourself.

See if they will ship you some replacement parts or a new one based on your videos before yours gets back to them rather than have to wait for yours to go all the way back to their new location in Melbourne for examination etc.   I know Kegland are busy moving factories/warehouses to Noble Park ATM so this may cause you even more grief.  Hopefully it will all get sorted for you very quickly.  Sorry I could not be of more help.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi @MitchBastard.

I got to the same problem. The inner conical piece and the dump valve are now one only piece. While the rubber and the outer ones are separated. Then I can't disassemble it, neither use it, because the liquid leaks out the fermentor. 

Did you contact with kegland? Did they give you a solution? 

Thank you. 

• Like 1