Coopers Community

Any advice on cloudy beer?

Hey friends! I am currently on my seventh day of brewing my first batch of beer, am i am concerned that the beer looks Just a Little bit "cloudy", although the taste seems fine. I will check the hydrometer again tomorrow to mąkę sure i have two consistent days of gravity..... One problem that Ive had is that its been slightly below the recommended temperaturę after about the first day of brewing, I've only been able to keep it between 18-20... There really no way for me to be able to keep it between 20-28... I am making the lager brew and as I've said, it tastes really nice, only looks a Little cloudy.... Hope fully tomorrow I'll be able to bottle it, drop the carbo drops in, let it sit a couple weeks then enjoy it... Should i worry about the cloudiness? 

40 minutes ago, Dixierambler said:

Hey friends! I am currently on my seventh day of brewing my first batch of beer, am i am concerned that the beer looks Just a Little bit "cloudy", although the taste seems fine. I will check the hydrometer again tomorrow to mąkę sure i have two consistent days of gravity..... One problem that Ive had is that its been slightly below the recommended temperaturę after about the first day of brewing, I've only been able to keep it between 18-20... There really no way for me to be able to keep it between 20-28... I am making the lager brew and as I've said, it tastes really nice, only looks a Little cloudy.... Hope fully tomorrow I'll be able to bottle it, drop the carbo drops in, let it sit a couple weeks then enjoy it... Should i worry about the cloudiness? 

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about the brew being cloudy. It's been a week in the FV, the ferment is just about to finish and if you give it another week in the FV, it'll clear up a fair bit. Another 2 weeks in the bottle will help as well. If you feel like it, you can add some finings to the FV, which will help clear up the beer as well.

The temperature you are brewing at is actually pretty good. the 20-28 recommendation is to keep things simple. It's the range most people can achieve. You'll still brew beer at that temp but you will experience flavours you may not want. Ideal for (most) Ales is 18-21C. Lagers are brewed a lot colder but the Coopers Lager isn't a true lager, so it's all good. 

Welcome, as mentioned it will clear. Once ferment is over the yeast will settle out and the clarity will improve. It will also continue to improve in the bottle.  When bottled you will notice a small layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle that is the yeast settling.  It is perfectly normal and adds flavour characteristics to the beer. It is not in commercial beers as they filter the bejesus out of it before they package. Except Coopers who have always left the yeast in the beer.