Coopers Community

Fllter

I've seen a few using a basic filter from Bunnings in the line from FV to keg.

What are you planning to filter? Is there a reason you can't cold crash the brew to drop out the suspended stuff and then just run the line to the keg?

If you tip the FV backwards (to lift the tap) with a lump of wood or something, while it is fermenting, the trub (solids etc) will all settle on an angle away from the tap, making it easy to NOT get such things in the keg.

There are also various finings you can use to settle suspended stuff - from gelatin to isinglass and polyclar.  The only one I have used is gelatin so do some research as to what the others can do.

+1 to Cold crashing.

Using filters only adds to the cost of your brew and you don;t want that.  They are not cheap if you get good ones, you can get cheap units but how often do you replace?

Learn to cold crash it properly and it will make a huge difference to clarity.  I have only used gelatin once in recent years and did not think it was worth the trouble when compared to just leaving it cold crash mode for an extra day or so.  I nearly always cold crash my brews for 7 days now, but this is just due to personal workload schedules and it suits my brewing, bottling or kegging calendar.  Pours are very clear after the keg has conditioned properly and also very little trub or residue left over in bottom of kegs when they are washed out when empty so its a win / win.

Get a second hand temp controlled FV fridge if you do not already have one and cold crash, cheaper and a better all round piece of kit to have in your brewery.

Cheers - AL