Coopers Community

Broken beer tap

AJS83

Hi all. I have just done up a European brew today. Upon filling up the fermenter to 23l I have realised my tap has broken. Is there anyway I can salvage the brew without having to throw it out. I physically cannot draw out any of the liquid. Please see photo.  Thanks for any advice/assistance in advance. 

55C69E2E-3510-4658-AACC-F46FD1BCC316.jpeg

Edited by AJS83

30 minutes ago, AJS83 said:

Thanks for your reply. Preferably I would like to leave it in this container. What do you mean by a siphon?

thanks 

Siphoning is essentially transferring beer from one container to another using a hose/tubing. You can things like auto-siphons and racking canes to make the process easier. Here is some info.

https://homebrewacademy.com/siphon-beer/

2 minutes ago, Lab Cat said:

If you easy access to a brew shop, you could buy a new tap, lean back the fermenter and swap them. Any options provided by Hairy mean you need to go to a brew shop or Bunnings anyway.

Is there enough head space to lean the FV back so that wort won't starting pouring out of the tap opening? 

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions I am still a pretty inexperienced brewer. This is my third batch. Each time I get a little better. 

. I will go with the siphoning then order a new tap for the next brew. 

thanks again. 

I think the standard FV should have enough headroom. Even if it's a bit tight, there'd be minimal loss.

Otherwise, I'd just pour some wort out into a sanitised bucket, then pour back in after swapping the tap - bunnings has those big flexi ones which are ideal. I use one to fill up my FV after doing my mix.

Could be a simpler option than trying to transfer with siphon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

Is there enough head space to lean the FV back so that wort won't starting pouring out of the tap opening? 

15 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

I think the standard FV should have enough headroom. Even if it's a bit tight, there'd be minimal loss

If he's got the Coopers kit adding the collar in should make sure he doesn't lose beer - maybe a dribble from the overlap...

If it's not the Coopers one, most of those seal pretty well anyway.

Edited by Journeyman