Coopers Community

Change to the FAQ

Journeyman

@Coopers DIY Beer Team

I use the FAQ for Product Info to share with new brewers - helps them understand what they are doing to their brew when adding the BE's. It has suddenly changed - now instead of showing %'ages it just says 'Predominantly' - I see this as a downgrade of usefulness as they can't add in amounts for each ingredient to work out their OG.

Has Coopers changed the way the packages the BE's recently and now there isn't the consistency in amounts of each ingredient?

ref: https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_4_02

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yes it seems that Coopers are trying to dumb down the information, most home brewers would like to have the details rather than the dumbed down version.

Considering your market, perhaps you should talk the way you used to talk.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Why?

Most brewers like the detail info.  For example 264g Chocolate Malt. Not "a little bit of Chocolate Malt".

I'm thinking they will get WAY less visits to the page now. Why point people to it when it cannot help them work out their brew? It's a strange thing to do, to reduce the actual information to a generality. From a Coopers PoV the only thing I can think of is what I alluded to above - they don't want to be locked into an exact formula.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I'm thinking they will get WAY less visits to the page now. Why point people to it when it cannot help them work out their brew? It's a strange thing to do, to reduce the actual information to a generality. From a Coopers PoV the only thing I can think of is what I alluded to above - they don't want to be locked into an exact formula.

Or maybe there is a bit of variability in the percentages so now they cannot legally say X% of this, Y% of that and Z% of something else.

On a similar subject, I for one would love to know what is in each of the hopped and unhopped extract cans.  I know that this will never happen though.  Understanding what is in the cans would help us formulate our own brews with the cans and get them closer to style.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lettucegrove said:

I feel this recent change for the brew enhancers is to lock people into always going for them. If you don't know what exact amounts are in them you can't run to the LHBS, buy in bulk and mix up your own.

Maybe so. For me it would have had the opposite effect. 😄 I bought some BE3 when I first started because I'd seen comments about using LDME instead of Dex and it had the most LDME. If it was now I'd just go buy LDME.

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Or maybe there is a bit of variability in the percentages so now they cannot legally say X% of this, Y% of that and Z% of something else.

Perhaps, although I'd have thought if that was the case they would have said so. i.e. "We had to do it because laws"

And if there WAS that level of variability the various apps would keep messing up OG calcs. I don't think that happens, in the kit arena anyway. Would AG'ers even use BE's?

• Like 1