Coopers Community

2nd Coopers brew - pale ale

Hi all,

Just started my second brew which is a Coopers Pale Ale. 

Story so far-

Sanitised everything methodically 💧👍

Steeped 9 grams 9f Galaxy For 25 mins ⏱👍

Warmed can, mixed BE2 with hot water, mixed can and topped to 22L of spring water, temp at 23°C - wort all good🌡👍

OG reading only 1.040 and should be 1.045-8. If FG is 1.010 = 4.07% ABV.👎 I want to reach 👉4.8-5.2% 👈

Added 0.3kg 🤏 each of dark sugar and black treacle with 0.2kg of caster sugar in 1L boiled water. (Using calculations that for every 22L you need to add 0.5kg to raise ABV by 1%. 👌Hoping this is good and the 9 grams of supplied yeast will kick them sugars into higher ABV. No point making and drinking beer of not to get slightly inebriated lol 😎

FV in cupboard wrapped in thermal blanket (made from old yoga mat from the missus lol) and digital thermometer sitting at 24.4°C. 👍

Have a heat globe 🔥 and temp controller set up at 22° for first brew, which got bottled yesterday and bottles are covered from light with blanket.

Will wait till day 6 and then add 50 grams of Galaxy hops 🍀🌳

Will wait 10-12 days before testing FG 👀 and leave till day 14 before bottling if stable.

Sounds like a plan.🍺🍺🍻🍻🥃🥃

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. You've got a lot going on there Darren.

Drips, stop watches, thumbs up, thumbs down, point the finger this way, point the finger that way, freakin' Vulcan mind melds on dark sugar, treacle & caster sugar, fires, clover, trees & playing cards, & even enough time to don the shades on what must have been a nice sunny day!

I've never seen so many emoji's in one post. WTF are we talking about again? 😜 

If you managed to get a brew down among all of that, I say well done!

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

Yes, welcome to the forum Darren.  Its very easy to get a wrong OG due to the wort not being mixed completely or properly or wort temp may be high etc., have done this myself a few times.  Nowadays I use a calibrated "reffa" when doing a recipe for the first couple of times to see how close it comes to the IanH spreadsheet figures which I trust, but after that I don't bother.  If I am making the same recipe over and over then just chuck the same stuff in and worry about the FG thereafter.

The refractometer only uses one drop of distilled water to calibrate it and one drop of wort off the mixing spoon to give you the OG. 

Then on BD +2 I take a hydro sample and keep this sample in the same spot as the FV so it ferments out the same at the same temp.  That way you will know when the FG has landed and can then take a final hydro sample to prove before the next stage.  Calculate your ABV from these and modify for your next batch if it's not where you would like it.  I find its more important to get the beers flavor and balance right rather than focus on the %ABV.

I have deliberately not put any emoji's in my post as there are probably none left for me to use..ha ha..

PS I see Labcat beat me to the punch line.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

On the constructive side there is no need to leave it for 14 days if it is finished.  There are many many rusted on brewers who follow the 14 days whether it needs it or not rule and that is fine if it works for them but it is not necessary.  Once the SG has been stable for 48 hours you can package the beer.  Any time after that 48 hours the beer starts conditioning be it in the FV, keg or bottle.  Now there are some processes that can be done after it is stable, like cold crashing.  That is where the FV is cooled to below 1c. Cold crashing helps clarify the beer and is particularly good to do with lagers.   So as a general rule once the beer has been stable for 48 hours it is finished and ready for the next step and that can be bottling/kegging if you want.   

Cheers, good luck with the brew and loved the EMOJIs the more the better. 

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Cheers, good luck with the brew and loved the EMOJIs the more the better. 

But one notes you didn't use any emojis - couldn't find any left? 😄

Oops... there's one that got away. 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, Darren Hurst said:

No point making and drinking beer of not to get slightly inebriated

I'm with you on this - haven't made one under 6.5% yet. I figure it's to help with my weight - why drink 6 beers with all those carbs etc when 3 will give the same buzz... 😄

8 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

...and loved the EMOJIs the more the better. 

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

But one notes you didn't use any emojis - couldn't find any left? 😄

Oops... there's one that got away. 

I believe Darren may have inadvertently used up all of Marty's monthly emoji allocation. 😁

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, Journeyman said:

I put those ingredients into the spreadsheet and at 22L it says 1.039 for OG. With the added 0.5 sugars it goes to .048. Where did you get your figures? Are you saying it's 1.04 after you add the extra sugars?

It was 1.039 as photo, before adding extra sugars.  I think I managed to raise it to 1.043

Screenshot_20200711-073952_Gallery.jpg

• 3 weeks later...