Coopers Community

8.5L recipe for 23L kit

Bingilbeer

Hi all, has anyone ever used a recipe that is for the Coopers craft series ( 8.5L ) in the full size 23L Coopers brew kit. If I multiplied all ingredients by 2.5 times to make a batch that was 21.25L should I expect the same result?

Cheers for any info.

42 minutes ago, Bingilbeer said:

Hi all, has anyone ever used a recipe that is for the Coopers craft series ( 8.5L ) in the full size 23L Coopers brew kit. If I multiplied all ingredients by 2.5 times to make a batch that was 21.25L should I expect the same result?

Cheers for any info.

It should be the same if all ingredients are multiplied by the same factor.

However, 23L is a little more than 2.5 x 8.5L. It shouldn't make a big difference but perhaps you could scale the volume back to 21L.

It will likely be a 'milder' taste than you expect if you've done that brew before as 8.5L - unless you're dropping 2 cans into the larger FV. If it's just one can maybe look into a hops boil with some LDME to add some bitter to the brew. (not sure what the recipe is or calls for)

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

It should be the same if all ingredients are multiplied by the same factor.

However, 23L is a little more than 2.5 x 8.5L. It shouldn't make a big difference but perhaps you could scale the volume back to 21L.

2.5 times works out to be just over 21L.  Just seeing if anyone has tried upscaling the small batch brews to a larger scale. If no one has I will give it a try anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

It will likely be a 'milder' taste than you expect if you've done that brew before as 8.5L - unless you're dropping 2 cans into the larger FV. If it's just one can maybe look into a hops boil with some LDME to add some bitter to the brew. (not sure what the recipe is or calls for)

The recipe on Coopers site is called double hops bomb IPA and I quite like taste. Just seeing if anyone has upscaled the small batch recipe to suit the 23L FV. If not I will just give it a try anyway, if would have to turn out really bad for metro waste it all.

• Like 1

I ferment 27 litres at a time in my "23L" FV - you could comfortable triple the recipe and not have to deal with half a packet of something afterwards.

PS. I assume you are talking about the large Coopers fermenter? I'd say it's a 30L FV.

Edited by King Ruddager
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

I ferment 27 litres at a time in my "23L" FV - you could comfortable triple the recipe and not have to deal with half a packet of something afterwards.

PS. I assume you are talking about the large Coopers fermenter? I'd say it's a 30L FV.

Do you have any issues with high Kraussen or do you routinely use the collar?

1 hour ago, King Ruddager said:

I usually use the collar. Sometimes it touches the lid, but it's only "escaped" once 😂

I ask because I was thinking of doing one large brew for my upcoming experiment, making (say) a 28L brew and splitting it in 2. Instead I made 2 separate ones and tried to duplicate the exact same recipe for them.

8 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Yep talking about the large Coopers FV.. cheers for that will give it a go once I get everything I need.

17 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Splitting it post-fermentation? What's the experiment?

As said, I didn't end up splitting it, I made 2 full 20L batches. I'm going to set up a thread about the experiment so rather than address it here...