Coopers Community

NEIPA split batch

Howdy!

I'm thinking of putting down a split batch NEIPA across two FV's, kinda based off of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAYjKB1rN-8

My base extracts will be Coopers Aus Pale Ale and Coopers Wheat Malt, and I'm debating whether to keep it real simple and just double dry hop, or whether to do a partial mash using 250g LDM and 250g oats for each batch, and doing a short hop boil.

Recipe 1 (10L - citra/mosaic NEIPA):

1/2 tin Coopers Aus Pale Ale

1/2 tin Coopers Wheat Malt

50g Citra hops

50g Mosaic hops

Recipe 2 (10L - Biggie Juice clone):

50g Vic Secret hops

50g Amarillo hops

50g Galaxy hops

Please critique away, happy to hear any suggestions.

• Like 1

Hey Rugbrod, 

Welcome to the forum. 

NEIPA hey? What yeast will you be using? I’d go with something that will definitely give you that juice taste like London 3. 

I wouldn’t do a hop boil for these types of beer, you want the bitterness really low so that your double dry hop give you the bitterness to balance it all. I would take your wheat malt to make a little wort a heat up to 78c then steep some hops for 20 or something like that. 
Then just dry hop the bejesus out of it. Once at the start of fermentation then again after fermentation 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice Captain.

I've got two 11g packs of Lallemand's New England. The pitching rate is 1g/1L so I was going to go with one pack to 10L.

Okay that sounds good, so get the wheat malt in with some water, bring the wort up to temp, then kill the heat and drop the hops in for 20mins before whacking that all in the fv?

Then with dry hopping, I've had mixed messages: Should I add my first dry hops at the time of pitching, or wait til I get actual fermentation?

Cheers!

40 minutes ago, rugbrod said:

Thanks for the advice Captain.

I've got two 11g packs of Lallemand's New England. The pitching rate is 1g/1L so I was going to go with one pack to 10L.

Okay that sounds good, so get the wheat malt in with some water, bring the wort up to temp, then kill the heat and drop the hops in for 20mins before whacking that all in the fv?

Then with dry hopping, I've had mixed messages: Should I add my first dry hops at the time of pitching, or wait til I get actual fermentation?

Cheers!

yeast Sounds good mate. 

Yep steep like that. 

Dry hop a day/day and a half after pitching. Straight after the growth phase

• Thanks 1

I've just pitched my yeast at 23C and have realised that I never took an OG reading... I feel like because I steeped the hops in, that the OG would be potentially flawed anyway? Either way, I'd be looking to just wait about 10 days and then start testing the SG until it gets close to 1.010 and stays that way for a couple days. Again, feedback welcome.

(p.s. the FVs are on a towel on top of the floorboards, not the carpet)

neipas.thumb.jpg.cbf64f12d219b5a01fd631c80f98aa2a.jpg

Recipes:

Biggie Juice Clone (Blue FV)

50g Vic Secret hops

50g Amarillo hops

50g Galaxy hops

11.5g Lallemand New England Dry Yeast

Citra/Mosaic NEIPA (White FV)

50g Citra hops

50g Mosaic hops

11.5g Lallemand New England Dry Yeast

Method:

1. Heat 2L water and 1/2 tin of wheat malt extract in a pot on the stovetop up to ~78C

2. Drop in 10g of each hop and steep for 20mins

3. Pour 1/2 tin of pale ale extract into pot and mix until combined

4. Pour that mix into FV and then top up with water to 10L

5. Stir for a good couple of minutes

6. Temp was sitting at 23/24 for me so I pitched my yeast straight after

7. After 2 days, dry hop with 20g of each hop

8. After another 3 days, dry hop with remaining 20g of each hop

9. Hold at around 20C for at least 10 days and then start testing SG (hoping to end at around 1.010)

• Like 4

Checked the SG's this morning, both sitting at around 1.005. Temperature has been a nice and steady 18-20C the whole time.

10 days in the fermenter with plenty of good yeast in each batch says to me that we have reached FG, but I'll give it a couple more days and bottle it up on Thursday.

Biggie Juice clone is smelling fantastic, tastes pretty good too.

The mosaic/citra is a bit less fragrant (2/3 of the hops so that's fair) but heaps of passionfruit flavour coming through.

Very keen to try this one when it's finished priming. If they're priming at 18-20C in bottles, what's the earliest I can crack one open?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rugbrod said:

Very keen to try this one when it's finished priming. If they're priming at 18-20C in bottles, what's the earliest I can crack one open?

The standard advice is two weeks.  It is what I usually leave them for, unless I bottle say on a Monday.  Then I might pop one in the fridge a little early on the weekend before the two weeks.

• Like 2

Bottled everything up.

Lesson learned from dry hopping commando-style was losing a fair bit of the beer to the hops sitting at the surface and in the trub unfortunately. Wasn't able to cold crash so maybe that may have helped a little bit, but it was always going to be hazy. The mini cold-crash from simply cooling the bottles before serving will hopefully settle a bit of the hop matter down anyway.

Keen to see how these turn out though!

• 2 weeks later...

Tasting night. I don't particularly have a knack for beer descriptors (at least specifically on certain hops).

The mosaic/citra is really strong on the nose, but the taste is much more session-able. Doesn't even taste like there's any alcohol in it really (which I'm okay with). Really nice and fruity but not overwhelming. The colour is just your normal IPA colour.

Really happy with how it turned out though, considering it's my first proper go at anything with a steep and hops.

IMG_2454.thumb.jpg.eb0031d46be6e20d2317c821624fdfe9.jpg

Edited by rugbrod
  • Like 4

Second tasting - the veeeeery basic Biggie Juice clone I tried. Came up really nice! More like a fairly fruity pale to be honest - which makes a whole lot of sense because of the ingredients!!!

Either way, really nice drinking and I'm pretty stoked with both of these fruity hoppy pales. Gives me plenty of confidence to keep experimenting with new hops. Probably gonna have a bit of a play around with sabro.

Cheers!

IMG_2472.thumb.jpg.73d687008ca589828f384bedb2576415.jpg

• Like 4

Sabro is a really nice hop 

I’d suggest that if you want coconut you’ll need to use it in a smaller proportions. And use a “lifter hop” like mosaic. The more you use of Sabro the less coconut you get and more intense tropical fruit bomb. 
ive usedit a number of times and I really liked the Amarillo, cashmere, Sabro mix. 

Good luck with your future brews

• Like 1

I’m really interested in a Sabro brew as well. I had thought Amarillo and sabro but certainly hadn’t given adding cashmere a thought. That should go marvellously together!

I’ll have to have a play around with a recipe. Thinking tropical pale ale with a phat dry hop, maybe even a double dry hop. That Lallemand Verdant yeast might go ok in that....

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 3