Coopers Community

Toucan stout

Gman81

Put down a toucan stout today. 1 can coopers stout,  1 can coopers dark ale, 1kg brown sugar,  400ml expresso  coffee from ground coffee beans and 25g East Kent golding hops steeped for 30 mins. Can't wait to taste it. OG 1060.

• Like 6

On 6/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Gman81 said:

Put down a toucan stout today. 1 can coopers stout,  1 can coopers dark ale, 1kg brown sugar,  400ml expresso  coffee from ground coffee beans and 25g East Kent golding hops steeped for 30 mins. Can't wait to taste it. OG 1060.

Keep us informed. I'm going to put one similar and bottle for next winter. Great around the fire.

• Like 2

The EKG might throw off a lot of your coffee flavour your chasing mate. Roasted barley always adds a very coffee flavour to any stout, I've read a few articles about cold steeping coffee beans & throwing it in to secondary faze, one day I'll give it a try.

Alternatively, Mangrove jack make a natural coffee flavoured essence. I am aware that using essence in beers isn't well patronized art on this particular forum & I've got to  I confess I  haven't tryed it but I am a little curious.

Screenshot_20200701-180251_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Gman81 This sounds interesting. How did you go about adding the coffee? Just mixed in with the tins and brown sugar or steeped with the hops?

Good evening. The coffee I put through my stove top perculator , using fresh ground beans, then chilled and added to the wort.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

The EKG might throw off a lot of your coffee flavour your chasing mate. Roasted barley always adds a very coffee flavour to any stout, I've read a few articles about cold steeping coffee beans & throwing it in to secondary faze, one day I'll give it a try.

Alternatively, Mangrove jack make a natural coffee flavoured essence. I am aware that using essence in beers isn't well patronized art on this particular forum & I've got to  I confess I  haven't tryed it but I am a little curious.

Screenshot_20200701-180251_Chrome.jpg

My first go at stout with coffee. I saw that essence in my LHBS but thought fresh coffee has to be better.  Wasn't keen on trying it, see how this brew turns out.

I did a similar a while back. I used 100g fresh ground beans with a dessertspoon of vanilla extract as a 'dry hop' and it's wicked smooth and tasty. I didn't do any hops in it. I had planned on EKG but the smell of the brew made me think I didn't want the mix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...