Coopers Community

Spilled sanitiser on timber

karlos_1984

I've just found that a bottle of stellar San has leaked onto the timber drawers in the back of my ute. 

The timber is 15mm plywood.

I've tried soaking up as much as I can with a dry chux cloth but the straight sanitiser has gotten into the timber as it wasn't sealed with varnish or similar.

Given this stuff is corrosive, will it stuff the timber and eat away at it? Any suggestions to prevent this if that's the case?

Wish I'd left the bottle at the in laws house now.

20200624_163800.jpg

Edited by karlos_1984
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

As it has soaked into the timber there’s not much you can do. The only thing it could possibly do is effect the glue in the plywood, however, as it’s in the back of your Ute I would assume you’ve used marine ply. In that case, no worries, it won’t do a thing. 
Just remember the time you created a shape like a teenage boy does on your car drawer system. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

It's not marine ply. Just regular ply. I'll wait n see what happens I suppose. Took me ages to build them don't wanna have to do it again

I really don’t believe there has been that much spilt to be honest. Liquids always look bad in spills. It’ll be fine bud

+1 to Olemate's suggestion @karlos_1984.  Best course of action is to neutralize the acid by rubbing or leaving a teaspoon or more of "bi-carbonate of soda" powder sit on/over the effected areas.  if it foams slightly then its doing its job.

Then later apply a wet bit of paper towel over the same area to moisten and draw any excess acid / bi carbonate mix out of the wood.  May have to do a few times to allow the bi-carbonate moisture to penetrate the timber.  After that just wipe down with fresh water and allow to dry properly, or help along with hair drier or heat gun.

Warning: rubbing might make it bigger and foam more.😂

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 6