Coopers Community

Correct Method To Lager.

Pale Man

I'm embarking on a lager soon, now that i have temperature control.

Is it correct to ferment at around 12 - 14. Then when done diacetyl rest at around 18 for a couple of days.

Then cold crash?

First lager for me. 

Close enough, that's pretty much what Ive done. Just make sure fermentation is done before you up the temp, give it 48-60 odd hrs at 18, then chill it. How long to chill depends on what's in the brew I guess. What recipe and yeast are you thinking?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Close enough, that's pretty much what Ive done. Just make sure fermentation is done before you up the temp, give it 48-60 odd hrs at 18, then chill it. How long to chill depends on what's in the brew I guess. What recipe and yeast are you thinking?

I'm mashing 2kg of german pilsner with a tin of coopers lager, probably add 1/2 kilo light malt and 1/2 kilo of dextrose, and hops. Saflager S-189.

Actually you want the temp raised for a diacetyl rest before fermentation finishes while the yeast are still active. 

I usually ferment at 10 or 12 degrees for 5-6 days (SG is usually in the low 1.020s at this point), then let it rise on its own to 18 where it sits until a few days after reaching FG. At that point it's slowly ramped down to about 3 degrees for the lagering process. Another 1.5-2 weeks at that temp and it's kegged. That's not a long lagering time, they usually improve more with more time but I don't like leaving it on the yeast too long. 

You'll want to pitch a heap of yeast as well so either build it up in a starter or get more than one pack. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

+1 to the above. When doing a conventional ferment the way Otto described is pretty much it. If you want you can cut a day off it here and there to save time.  When I bottled I did the same as Otto but generally bottled a couple of days after it had reached the cold crash temp rather than let it start conditioning in the FV.  Once bottled, let it sit in the coldest darkest place in the house for at least 8 weeks.  If you're in a particularly cold place you may have to let it sit in a spot that is above the ferment temp for a couple of weeks so it can carbonate.   Then find that dark cool spot.  I have found the best results for bottles is about the 10-12 week mark.   Kegs condition faster and can be stored cold as well which is even better for the lagering.  Another good thing to do with lagers is before drinking let put them in the fridge for a few days minimum before drinking but  the longer the better.  

• Like 1

My process is similar. I start low. One batch was 5c when pitched. Pitch all the yeast you have. I use the total slurry off the previous batch a lot and sometimes pitch onto the cake if doing the same batch back to back. Set the temp controller to 10. Let it rise up till thete. Ferment at 10 until its 5 points or so away from target. Change temp controller to 18 and let it rise till its done. I work on my taste buds at this time. I taste the sample and sometimes ill hold it for a few days and sometimes ill drop it depending on the sample test. I just take the probe off the vessel and drop the fridge temp to 2c. Takes about 2 days to get it to that temp. After another 5 days ill keg it off. I add finings in the keg rather than in the fermenter. Purge the headspace and leave it under the co2 for as long as i can which is usually only a month maximum. Need more kegs to give it longer unfortunately.

Bottles i would do the same except leaving it in ambient for 3 weeks then sitting in the fridge for as long as you can.

• Like 1

Let me know if I should start a new thread - I'm not sure of forum etiquette.

I have a kit & kilo European Lager on now that I started at 15°, but has dropped to 8° and is still fermenting slowly (I don't have temp control). 

Is this too cold or too much fluctuation to get a good beer? I'm using the kit yeast. 

Not sure what the EL yeast is exactly other than a "lager" yeast. I tend to think 8° is getting a bit cool but other than taking longer to get to FG it wont hurt a lager. At some stage you will have to raise the temp up to finish off

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Let me know if I should start a new thread - I'm not sure of forum etiquette.

I have a kit & kilo European Lager on now that I started at 15°, but has dropped to 8° and is still fermenting slowly (I don't have temp control). 

Is this too cold or too much fluctuation to get a good beer? I'm using the kit yeast. 

Will be fine. Cool temps are what lagers love. Would be better if the temp was controlled so temp range was stable but 15-8c is fine. Much better then 10 - 20.   If possible see if you can find  a warmer place for it when the SG get to about 1020. Will help speed it up and get rid of a couple of the by products of fermentation.  

• Thanks 1

I am also interested in giving a kit based lager a go. I don't have any temperature control, but do live in Canberra so it shouldn't be an issue to get the temperature down to between 10 - 15 degrees.

I do have a few questions:

1. What temperature should I try and start the brew at?

2. Does anyone have a recommended kit?

3. What yeast is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, yab said:

I am also interested in giving a kit based lager a go. I don't have any temperature control, but do live in Canberra so it shouldn't be an issue to get the temperature down to between 10 - 15 degrees.

I do have a few questions:

1. What temperature should I try and start the brew at?

2. Does anyone have a recommended kit?

3. What yeast is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

If I lived in Canberra in winter. Wouldn't need a fridge for food even. 😀

1. If you have a lot of yeast then low. Try to start at 10c or even a couple of degrees lower.

2, Coopers euro lager plus BE3 is simple and will make a good beer.

3. You need a lot of yeast to do a good lager. Id buy another packet of lager yeast or even 2 packets and add that and the kit yeast. I'd go W34/70.

If that's getting expensive then there is a tightarse option. 36hrs before get 2 2L coke bottles. Wash and sanitise. Add 180gm of the BE3 to each bottle. Fill up with coolish water to about 1.8L. Add half a pack of the kit yeast to each bottle. Lid on and swirl it up. Very important to back off the cap now so the gas can escape. 36 hrs later you got a shedload of yeast. Pitch into your fermenter the euro lager. The rest of the BE3 and the whole contents of the two bottles. It will.l take off like a rocket and you will get a decent lager.

• Like 1