Coopers Community

What Hops?

Geoff82

Hi, I have a tin of Australian Pale Ale and brew enhancer 2 and have a few different hops. My question is, should I use hops in this brew or just leave it basic ( I have not tasted this one before). I have 50g Centennial, 50g of Chinook and 10g of galaxy. Would any of these hops match the brew and if so how would you recommend I use them?

Ey Geoff, 

you could use all of them or just one of your choice. 

you could swap the BE2 and a Do short boil with some LDM to add some extra bitterness and flavour. Maybe a 10min boil With the centennial??? 10 mins won’t add a major amount of bitterness but a little tickle and more so flavour and aroma from the hop. 

or you could dry hop on day 4 of ferment. In my past expiernces with those particular hops is that all would be good for a dry hop.  I hear galaxy goes well with that can of extract but I prefer the other two. 

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Geoff82 said:

Hi, I have a tin of Australian Pale Ale and brew enhancer 2 and have a few different hops. My question is, should I use hops in this brew or just leave it basic ( I have not tasted this one before). I have 50g Centennial, 50g of Chinook and 10g of galaxy. Would any of these hops match the brew and if so how would you recommend I use them?

Repost the question here. 

really it doesn't take long to search the forum.

• Haha 1

Maybe Geoff wanted to highlight his question.

Mitch gave a great response.

Keep notes and dive in. I have nothing of value to offer beside that, I never used that can.

My work here is done.

Norris

Edited by Norris!

Hi Geoff82.

Please don't be deterred by Titan's response. He is kindly trying to direct you to a hop based question thread I recently started to deal with hop related questions more specifically, & I thank @Titan for that link direction. 👍

Titan is correct when he suggests a quick search of the forum will narrow down information you are seeking on a particular subject as it can often save you time asking a question that has often been asked before your time on the forum.

To answer your initial question, try a hot steep/hop tea of 25gms of Centennial + 25gms of Chinook for approx. 20mins in about 2 litres of water & strain into your fermenter with this brew.

It will produce a lovely flavour & aroma.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Geoff82 said:

Thanks guys for the responses, I will just go with the can and no hops to start with and see how that tastes and move on to using hops with it once I know what i am starting with.

Hi @Geoff82, Early on in my brewing career I got a second fermenter and started splitting a batch.  I would mix up all the fermentables in say 8-10L in one fermenter.  Then, while stirring, I transferred half the mix to a second fermenter.  I usually topped up one fermenter and brewed it to spec.  The other I would pimp up with different hop additions or grain steeps.  This way I ended up with two brews ready, pretty much at the same time, that I could do side-by-side taste testing on.  I learned a lot from doing this and did not have to wait the time it took me to drink 22L of one batch before I could do the next batch.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @Geoff82, Early on in my brewing career I got a second fermenter and started splitting a batch.  I would mix up all the fermentables in say 8-10L in one fermenter.  Then, while stirring, I transferred half the mix to a second fermenter.  I usually topped up one fermenter and brewed it to spec.  The other I would pimp up with different hop additions or grain steeps.  This way I ended up with two brews ready, pretty much at the same time, that I could do side-by-side taste testing on.  I learned a lot from doing this and did not have to wait the time it took me to drink 22L of one batch before I could do the next batch.

That's an Excellent ideas!  I might have to chase that up.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Geoff82.

Please don't be deterred by Titan's response. He is kindly trying to direct you to a hop based question thread I recently started to deal with hop related questions more specifically, & I thank @Titan for that link direction. 👍

Titan is correct when he suggests a quick search of the forum will narrow down information you are seeking on a particular subject as it can often save you time asking a question that has often been asked before your time on the forum.

To answer your initial question, try a hot steep/hop tea of 25gms of Centennial + 25gms of Chinook for approx. 20mins in about 2 litres of water & strain into your fermenter with this brew.

It will produce a lovely flavour & aroma.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

All is good, I was just looking for a quick answer, I will check out the page. Your hop tea sounds interesting, I have not used those hops before and would like to see how it turns out.

• Like 2