Coopers Community

Favourite beers to buy for bottles?

John E Miller

Trying different beers on the market can be a fun way to collect new bottles for brewing. I like to get the 6 packs of swing-top mixed German beers from Aldi, as it is cheaper than Grolsch (and better in my opinion). 750ml bottles are the best though. 

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what beers to buy when looking for good homebrew bottles (but which also have good beer in them)?

...Unfortunately a lot of the interesting craft beers are using cans nowadays

11 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

I like the Coopers longnecks 

I've got 60 of them - made sure to hang onto them when I sold almost all the PET's I had. I think I have 8 PET's left and about 16 stubbies/crown lager bottles. So now it's kegs and occasionals into bottles. Got 18 coffee stouts and 8 assorted others in long necks maturing on the shelf. 

5 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what beers to buy when looking for good homebrew bottles (but which also have good beer in them)?

I've just started capping, so have bought a few beer for bottles. I'm partial to English ales and plenty of these come in 500ml bottles. Dan's sell a good range, but I've noticed it shrunk a lot recently. Al the Belhaven stuff seems to have gone.  Shepherd Neame do some chunky 500ml, and good beer. But some brands bottles won't take our size caps. Adnams wouldn't recap. It will be pretty hard to find any import 750s

Coopers 750s and Grolsch swingtops are the go. The ALDI remnant shelf also pays occasional gold - Black Sheep bottles are good. Magners bottles 586ml are smaller and 4 placed diagonally in a milk crate lets you fill up the rest with 750s. Alternating 750/PET bottle also works in a milk crate.

Stubbies: have good results with Uberbrau and Henninger bottles. Ubers are shorter and fit in the fridge easier. Cantina stubbies 355ml are good too and bigger than euro 330ml.  All are ~$40 a case from First Choice and are not a bad drop esp. when v. cold on a hot day... and you're between batches of HB.

The bag of caps (Brigalow) says they work on twist-tops - they don't. I don't think I've tried Coopers Crown Seals so they might work a bit better. Whatever works for you, I guess.

I bought long necks from Gumtree twice at maybe 40cents each then someone was giving them away.  I think the Coopers are best, some of the old ones are interesting, pick axe, XXXX with the creepy little man on them.  Asahi 330ml are good solid heavy bottles. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I bought long necks from Gumtree twice at maybe 40cents each then someone was giving them away.  I think the Coopers are best, some of the old ones are interesting, pick axe, XXXX with the creepy little man on them.  Asahi 330ml are good solid heavy bottles. 

Yes, Asahi feel like they will last a long time

I think the Asahi 330ml crown seals are a good bottle to use. The current bottles Asahi use are still a crown seal but are not as robust and I would use them with caution.

I have started to use Grolsch Swing Tops and so far have had no problems however they are not cheap to buy even on Gumtree.  And you can easily buy replacement seals for them.

The PET bottles are hard to get a good seal on and I have had many flat ones. So I don't use them any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Aldi German swing tops are the go for me. Good size (330) to encourage moderation and solid. At prices varying from $10-$15 for the six pack its a cost effective way of getting cheap bottles and to try German type beers. Also there's often six packs with three beers usually including a witbeer. 

• Like 2