Coopers Community

Extract tin limits

On 6/17/2020 at 12:30 AM, MUZZY said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team

With Covid19 restrictions gradually easing is there any news on easing the limit of 6 cans of extracts purchased per order? 

I could have asked this via email but it might be useful for others to know also.

Thanks.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:41 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

We haven't heard anything definite Muzz, but we'll ask the warehouse team and get back to you. Cheers! 

I notice there's still a 6 tin limit. Did you get a chance to ask the warehouse folks, CDIYBT? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, MUZZY said:

I notice there's still a 6 tin limit. Did you get a chance to ask the warehouse folks, CDIYBT? 

@Coopers DIY Beer Team - I note there is still a 6 can limit on orders? Any ETA on when (if) that might be lifted.

I just placed an order and lashed out to get, along with my 6 cans - Inkeepers Sparkling, English  Bitter, Brew A, Secret Amber & 2 x LME - a new FV. Been wanting one for a while because I prefer them for use and cleaning to the screwtop 'stubby' ones. With what I have in the cupboard, the Govt can lock us down and I can survive on beer for months. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

6 Can Limit is still in place.

Had to add 2 boxes of BE3 to get over the $80 mark for the free shipping deal.

Only really after the unhopped LME, wish the free shipping limit would be reduced to $65 dollars, or even better, lift the limit to 8 cans!

Big W just closed here, so Dan Murphy's is now the only local option, and they still don't do LME tins. 😢 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, Journeyman said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team - I note there is still a 6 can limit on orders? Any ETA on when (if) that might be lifted.

I just placed an order and lashed out to get, along with my 6 cans - Inkeepers Sparkling, English  Bitter, Brew A, Secret Amber & 2 x LME - a new FV. Been wanting one for a while because I prefer them for use and cleaning to the screwtop 'stubby' ones. With what I have in the cupboard, the Govt can lock us down and I can survive on beer for months. 😄

G'Day @Journeyman

To allow us to continually offer our Coopers Club discounts and to keep free shipping promotions frequent and economically viable, we will continue to have a 6 can limit per order on our range of 1.5kg Malt Extract and 1.7kg Brewing Extract cans. Whilst we understand that this may not suit all, we believe it is the fairest way forward for most of our loyal brewers who support our Aussie made and owned products.

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Coopers DIY Beer Team
Thanks for following up on this enquiry. It may not be to everyone's pleasure but at least we now know and those of us tightwads can plan our future purchases. 

To my fellow scrooges: With a 6 tin limit on each order, if you order 4 tins of malt extracts @ $10.80ea and 2 tins of Thomas Cooper range @ $18.90ea this will hit the $80 free shipping threshold. When the threshold is $100 you'll need to be a little more creative. Maybe add in some carb drops, brew enhancers or even some of the new hops, malt and yeast products. I try to purchase stuff from Coopers Online Store that I can't source from local retailers. With a little planning you'll get the most bang for your buck.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

On 1/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

G'Day @Journeyman

To allow us to continually offer our Coopers Club discounts and to keep free shipping promotions frequent and economically viable, we will continue to have a 6 can limit per order on our range of 1.5kg Malt Extract and 1.7kg Brewing Extract cans. Whilst we understand that this may not suit all, we believe it is the fairest way forward for most of our loyal brewers who support our Aussie made and owned products.

Cheers

3 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Coopers: so whats the update? Why wont you sell  people as many as we  want,  we just end up having to go to local shops

@BreweyMcHops    i think  it has been explained why you cant buy as many as you want

read the above quote  to journeyman.

@ozdevil, @Coopers DIY Beer Team's reason sounds like "spin" to me.

I seem to recall an earlier post saying that it was because at the start of the pandemic, the first time postage was free, some buyers went nuts and hoarded a whole heap of cans and affected supply.  Nowadays that seems less likely to happen. 

Six cans is pretty limiting. If you were brewing every weekend, you would need at least 8 cans per month. 

There would not be too many folks who exploited the free postage by buying 47 cans in one hit. I think that the 6 can limit should be abolished or at least raised.  I myself have never bought more than 5 cans at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I seem to recall an earlier post saying that it was because at the start of the pandemic, the first time postage was free, some buyers went nuts and hoarded a whole heap of cans and affected supply.  Nowadays that seems less likely to happen. 

Six cans is pretty limiting. If you were brewing every weekend, you would need at least 8 cans per month. 

There would not be too many folks who exploited the free postage by buying 47 cans in one hit. I think that the 6 can limit should be abolished or at least raised.  I myself have never bought more than 5 cans at a time.

I like your thinking, Shamus. A raising of the limit to 8 cans would be nice. It would allow customers to reach the $80/$100 thresholds easier.
I think you've provide an answer to the restriction without realising it. Coopers offer free postage. Freight is charged by weight generally. Coopers probably have a budget for free freight promos each month. Let's talk hypothetically it's $15,000 a month. This keeps things simple because they normally charge $15 for freight. This allows them to service 1,000 customers. If Harry Hoarder from One Tree Hill orders 100 tins that's roughly 150 kgs in freight going to only one customer. If the charge of freight is hypothetically $1 per kg. Harry will have absorbed 1% of the free freight budget. Meaning only 100 customers would get free freight before Coopers started going over budget.
As we've seen with toilet paper, not everyone can be trusted to do the right thing like you do ie. buying only what you need.

• Like 4

But if economics of scale & sale worked that way we would limit the iron ore we ship to china to keep the shipping costs down

Anyway my tins just got here 2 days ago, wohoo! Does anybody else just stare at your brewstash like a dragon with his treasure hoarde? Calculating " if things went apocalyptic today...i could still brew and survive for (this long) ...."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

😄 I've been wondering if I can simply do 2 orders for the month. Get 12 cans - I'll have to save up to do it but it would be great for options for brewing. I'd like to get extra LME so I can try unhopped extract brews and maybe something that megaswill drinkers might like but with the current limits any LME I get goes in MY brews. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

i see no problem  with what your saying

I think 8 can limit would have been the better option if they wanted to limit as you say if if ya brewing weeklyas you said

the problem is we humans are a greedy mob as Muzzy poiunted out "toilet Paper"  i'm not sure now whether it is a joke or not now
but each time a lockdown happens in Australia the shelves are emptied by the special people who  think toilet paper is going to save them.

Coles and woolworths  the place shopping limits on when  states go into a lockdown but as soon as the lockdown is over  they soon remove them

so if the 6 can limit is due to the pandemic why keep the limit on  if a limt needs to be applied make it 8 can limit .

I'm just fortunate i do all grain brewing and there is no limit on grains

• Like 1

the 6 can limit makes no sense as is nothing to stop you doing 2 serperate orders for 6 cans totalling 12 I read somewhere that someone done it and received free postage on both. I thought free shipping over 80 was for the month I put order in last time started and received first one. I tried to put in order last week and wanted charge me 15 which I think is quite reasonable.

Maby they have since fixed that you can only receive free shipping once in the month. But you can still order as much as you want 6 at a time go figure. The old blame it on covid trick.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

the 6 can limit makes no sense as is nothing to stop you doing 2 serperate orders for 6 cans totalling 12 I read somewhere that someone done it and received free postage on both. I thought free shipping over 80 was for the month I put order in last time started and received first one. I tried to put in order last week and wanted charge me 15 which I think is quite reasonable.

Maby they have since fixed that you can only receive free shipping once in the month. But you can still order as much as you want 6 at a time go figure. The old blame it on covid trick.

they have learned from Australia post  they are good at blaming the pandemic..

• Like 2

6 cans fit nicely in a ROTM box. 8 wouldn't. The picture below was 6 cans and 2 BE3 in one box. Seemed pretty reasonable for free shipping.

20200323_172541.md.jpg

I agree - make 2 orders one month, and one the next. That's 18 cans for ~9 weeks. Should be plenty for the thirsty types.

• Like 1

Looks good and makes very good sense for Coopers but might be better with 3 x kit cans + 3 x LME cans + 2 x BE3.  Just make a second separate order a few minutes later and you have it made for 6 x K&K batches for the month.

Edited by iBooz2

After all this time I have always bought all of my Coopers brand supplies & others from various LHBS & for the basics either Big W, Drakes, Dan Murphy's etc. 

Even with the ROTM I can source the ingredients locally. I totally understand I am fortunate to live in a position where I have access to 8-10 outlets.

The closest LBHS is 8km away.  The closest Big W or similar is less than 5km away.

I will place orders with Coopers but for the moment I am happy to go for a drive & have a good look around & usually find a bargain.

I understand location, work, time would be difficult for some so I am lucky to be in a central location.

23 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I thought free shipping over 80 was for the month I put order in last time started and received first one. I tried to put in order last week and wanted charge me 15 which I think is quite reasonable.

The free shipping only lasts a few days after the ROTM drops. Likely you got in the first one but the 2nd was after the free shipping stopped.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Instigator said:

6 cans fit nicely in a ROTM box. 8 wouldn't. The picture below was 6 cans and 2 BE3 in one box. Seemed pretty reasonable for free shipping.

I agree - make 2 orders one month, and one the next. That's 18 cans for ~9 weeks. Should be plenty for the thirsty types.

That brings a thought... Auspost charges by size AND weight. Doing more than 6 cans could literally put the shipment into a whole new category and the jump in price is significant - SWMBO sends out zines and packages on a regular basis and she has to be very careful about the limits.

17 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The free shipping only lasts a few days after the ROTM drops. Likely you got in the first one but the 2nd was after the free shipping stopped.

good to know I'll be chucking in 2 orders next time

• Like 1

Besides Toucans I used to do a lot of mostly pale ales with a tin of malt.  This cool month brewing season I had a bunch of BE3 from a Dan Murphy deal just before covid last year.  Surprisingly I found I preferred BE3.  So this year I've been using BE3 and some half cans of malt and half kgs of dextrose.  I did consider buying a bulk 20-25kg bag of malt but I had the BE3 carried forward, I think I will get one next season, some are better than others though.

• 7 months later...

yes you would think the 6 can limit should be dead by now... cause like somebody mentioned you can order 6 plus 6 plus - maybe, just maybe it is a freight cost thing... I do 60+ litre brews and depending on the brew often need 6 plus cans per brew...

53 minutes ago, ABatman said:

yes you would think the 6 can limit should be dead by now... cause like somebody mentioned you can order 6 plus 6 plus - maybe, just maybe it is a freight cost thing... I do 60+ litre brews and depending on the brew often need 6 plus cans per brew...

Coopers have mentioned earlier in this thread that the 6 tin limit will be ongoing. It is a freight cost thing but it's also done so that more customers can enjoy the free freight offer. Rather than just a few customers exhausting the free freight budget.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ABatman said:

I am happy to pay extra freight if needs be, just a pain to go though and order over the 6 can rule only to be denied at checkout and have to start again...

Just get Robin to do it mate, you would have to be on standby in case the lights from Gotham appeared in the sky 😁