Coopers Community

Adding juice to the adjuncts & working out OG etc

TonySchmidt

Hi team, 

I’m wanting to put down a Pineapple IPA this weekend and looking to enter it into the Ian H spreadsheet so I have an idea of how / where I’m at.

My trouble that I have encountered is that Pineapple Juice is not in the spreadsheet adjuncts list and I have zero idea of how to get the required info for it i.e. EBC, Potential & Fermentability.

Anyone have experience in this and able to set me in the right direction?

Cheers and beers you mob!

11 hours ago, TonySchmidt said:

Anyone have experience in this and able to set me in the right direction?

11 hours, 18 views and no advice - very unusual for these forums so I guess none of us know the answer. A site called Home Brew Talk has a thread on it but neither there nor either of the other 2 sites I looked had specifics - they just make the pineapple beer and near as I can tell, don't even check FG.

The advice does seem to be to do it at end of ferment not as part of the primary ferment - rack it to a secondary.  The acidic content of pineapple is apparently not an issue - one guy mentioned the enzymes in pineapple don't activate below about 150°F.

Other than that I guess it's suck it and see. 😄

I've put grapefruit juice in a Cerveza before.

I didn't worry about it too much. It was an experiment.

With the juice it will have a sugar content on the side of the carton / bottle won't it?
From memory I did do a quick very rough calculation of sugar.
But I also added pulp and zest of 5 grapefruit too.

Looking back at my notes I didn't take a gravity reading.
I thought that it wouldn't be accurate as the sugar in the pulp wouldn't have been mixed in.

I'm going to make another soon. I was just going to used juice this time.
However I think there should be some cheapish grapefruit in the shop.

When started drinking this beer it was as cloudy as, but tasted great.
A few months later it cleared but wasn't as tastey.

I think journeyman summed it up. Suck it and see.

• Like 1

Right. the ingrediants will have the sugar % on the packed as previosly mentiond.  For example if it is 1 litre and it 75% sugar then 750ml is sugar. So open the spreadsheet and put it in as 750g of sugar.  That would get you close.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

11 hours, 18 views and no advice - very unusual for these forums so I guess none of us know the answer. A site called Home Brew Talk has a thread on it but neither there nor either of the other 2 sites I looked had specifics - they just make the pineapple beer and near as I can tell, don't even check FG.

The advice does seem to be to do it at end of ferment not as part of the primary ferment - rack it to a secondary.  The acidic content of pineapple is apparently not an issue - one guy mentioned the enzymes in pineapple don't activate below about 150°F.

Other than that I guess it's suck it and see. 😄

Cheers for that @Journeyman I’ll just put it down with the juice near the end and see how it goes 👍🏼 

There is a calulator here http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/fruit-gravity-alcohol-calculator/ that works out the increase in ABV based on the fruit, weight and beer volume (is in imperial but can get the drift). In the end with whole fruit/puree it is very little additional abv as the fruit has a relatively high percentage of water which dilutes the additional sugar. I would think fruit juice would be similar as adding a good amount of water with the sugar from the juice.  Can always take an SG reading on the fruit juice and assumes it ferments all out to 1.00 (will go close) to get an idea on potential abv of the juice, then do a weighted calc of

Total ABV = (Volume beer x abv beer + Volume juice x abv juice)/(volume beer +volume juice). 

• Like 2