Coopers Community

Hopping suggestions?

40 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Percentage of Alpha Acid relates more toward a hops bittering strength. Higher alpha level equates to a lower weight requirement to bitter a beer to a specific IBU.

Flavour & aroma qualities of hops are measured differently. Those qualities come from certain chemical levels in the essential oils such as Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Humulene, within the hop makeup.

The alpha acid level of a hop will tell you nothing on whether the hop is particularly aromatic or not.

That’s what I thought because it doesn’t make sense that say mosaic is so potent but poor old beaten up magnum is not as potent but have similarly alpha acids. I will have to sit down and look at the difference in the oil levels etc or just keep experimenting trying different hops.

cheers

6 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I will have to sit down and look at the difference in the oil levels etc or just keep experimenting trying different hops.

My advice is to do both. That's pretty much how I have developed my knowledge of somewhere around or over a 100 different varieties now.

Do a bit of research on the hop you are interested in & then purchase some & brew with it. Make some notes about it on the nose, how it drank etc. that you can reference later.

If you like particularly aromatic hops, looking at hops with a high Myrcene percentage is a good place to start. 😉

Cheers & best of luck moving forward with it. Trying new hops is a lot of fun.

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

Coopers has some excellent recipes in the DIY site. One in particular you might be interested in is the Fruit Salad Ale. It's based on Pale Ale and uses Cascade and Amarillo hops, very easy to make and tastes great. I made one a couple of months back and mistakenly used Galaxy instead of Cascade. Tasted brilliant. My son, who is usually my harshest critic also loved it and he's a fan of Stone and Wood, so maybe you could give that a go some time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 6:06 PM, Ray03 said:

Legend! Thank you. Cool so I put it down on Sunday morning, I’ll take reading on Thursday then pop in some hops and see how I go! Appreciate your advice! Yeah as it’s my first brew just giving it a crack without temp control but where I’ve got it set up in the laundry seems to be “fairly” stable. 

I’m looking forward to trying my first brew! I bottled last Monday so it’s been a week.. should I crack one next Monday (which would be 2 weeks in the bottle) and see how they go?

Provided you've stored them in an area that is roughly at or above 18°C through this period then the secondary sugars should have been consumed by the yeast & carbonated the beer adequately by the 2 week point.

If that is the case, yes I would refrigerate & crack one! 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, Ray03 said:

Nice! Let us know! I went for just the 12g of each the cascade and centennial this time. Love me some hops so I’ll adjust my next brew if it’s not quite up there 👌🏼

Turned out good very clear especially the first glass this picture is the second glass,dry hopped 30g cascade with the standard Cooper's pale ale kit went ok friends liked it bottled now for 16days if anything I'd like a bit more carbanation it might improve with age if it lasts for that long . however I'm already moving on to kegs so carbanation problem hopefully fixed next time I brew this one.

15928996045907157765205890231864.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Boozadog said:

Turned out good very clear especially the first glass this picture is the second glass,dry hopped 30g cascade with the standard Cooper's pale ale kit went ok friends liked it bottled now for 16days if anything I'd like a bit more carbanation it might improve with age if it lasts for that long . however I'm already moving on to kegs so carbanation problem hopefully fixed next time I brew this one.

15928996045907157765205890231864.jpg

Awesome! Looks good man! Kegging is a bit out of my league (and price range! 😂) at the mo.. But I might need to get some more bottles. My first brews been in the bottles for a week but I’ve already been scoping the recipe index for a nice punchy IPA or APA next 👍🏼 

@Lab Cat

Thanks again for all the advice with my first brew! (And all the others that made suggestions).

Its totally drinkable! Pretty happy with it actually. Not quite as hoppy as something I’d usually drink but pretty sessionable after 2 weeks in the bottle. I’ll know not to be as shy with the hops next time. Cheers!

1EB77E8F-04A7-432F-BBF6-B659DF0885A1.jpeg

• Like 6