Coopers Community

Laneway Latte Stout - June 2020 Craft Recipe of the Month

Hi, this recipe sounds really interesting so I'm going to give it a go. Having said that, I was just wondering if there was a similar commercial beer out there that I could compare my finished product to, just so I know if I made a good beer or dirty water. I don't trust my skills!

1 hour ago, GBru said:

Hi, this recipe sounds really interesting so I'm going to give it a go. Having said that, I was just wondering if there was a similar commercial beer out there that I could compare my finished product to, just so I know if I made a good beer or dirty water. I don't trust my skills!

Hey GBru, I do not know what this recipe is based on.  Sometimes the ROTM are similar to other brews.  Other times they are a complete beast of their own.  In this case, you could google milk stout and see what you come up with.  There are a few around.

• Moon Dog Timothy Tamothy Slam-Othy Chocolate Biscuit Milk Stout
  • Stone Coffee Milk Stout
  • Coconspirators The Apprentice Chocolate Milk Stout
  • Exit Brewing Exit Brewing Double Milk Stout

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have bought the recipe of the month. It says "On day 5 add the coffee beans to the brew by wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth and place directly on top of the brew then re-fit the lid."

My concern is once I wrap the the beans whats to stop the cloth from unwrapping? should I sterilise a safety pin? or does it not matter if it unfolds?

Sorry guys this is the most complicated recipe I have tried so any advice would really be appreciated.

Simplest way is to put the beans on the chux roughly centred, then fold the chux in half across the longest side ( my chux are rectangular). Roll or fold the rest then just tie a simple knot with the ends. Obviously make sure your hands are very clean or wear gloves. I ended up trimming of the excess chux with scissors as well.

Better add that that's a brand new chux from the packet, not the one you've been doing the dishes with!😅

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Thanks 1

I just took out my dry hop chux out of the FV. Looked like the hop pellets had good exposure to the wort. Just wanted to note that the knotting formed like a little bulb, was only 20g of hops. I checked the recipe for the stout and its 35g of beans. Not sure how much bulk that would be. I think just try and avoid having to many layers of chux between the beans and the wort

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

So nobody sanitises the cloths before adding them to the fermenter?  Isn't anything going into the FV supposed to be meticulously clean and therefore sanitised?

New to the use of Chux cloths as a part of dry hopping (or beaning in this case) so not sure of the process exactly.  The fishing out is also something I am new to.   So people fish them using various methods without concern of adding unnecessary oxygen or the introduction of bacteria?

Any pointers would be welcome.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

If they are brand new and straight out of the pack they are considered to be sterile enough. Hence why it’s ok to stick glad wrap straight on some wounds as a first aid measure.

Thanks for the info.  I take it that dropping one into Starsan wouldn't be an issue if the OCD took over?  Or instead using a hop sock that has been sanitised?

Curious to know the ways that people fish these things out?  I have a fermentasaurus and whilst I can get my arm in there it isn't as simple to do as those who may be using a bucket to ferment in.

1 hour ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

Curious to know the ways that people fish these things out?

Using the Coopers open topped fermenter, I connect a length of fishing line to the Chux cloth.  The Chux bulb or tube is usually weighed down with sanitised glass marbles.  I also use a clean pair of powder-free food handling gloves, sprayed with starsan a couple of times to fish the Chux cloths out and give them a squeeze.

I can see that some of those options may not be suitable for the fermentasaurus.

I have dunked the Chux cloth in starsan too before adding the hops and marbles.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Pete Sfz said:

Hi there,

Is it OK to ferment this, and other 9lt brews in a 23lt FV?

I have done plenty of the Craft Recipes of the Month in the 23L fermenter.  No issues.  Also done split brews and put 11.5L into each of two 23L fermenters.  Again, no issues.

• Like 1