Coopers Community

Yeast Washing

It's probably about right, I'd imagine the area of the bottom is bigger than a flask or something. The height of yeast in mine vary between the 3L and 5L flasks because the 5L is a larger surface area on the bottom. The volume is the important part, also the cell growth isn't as much with intermittent shaking as it is with it constantly stirred for a day or whatever. 

How many litres is the starter?

• Like 1

Speaking of starters, I just boiled up 1.8L for one in a flask, currently cooling down in readiness to pitch the yeast tonight. Went to a local country brewer shop and grabbed a kg bag of LDM, which turned out to be the coarser stuff that dissolves easily and doesn't boil over. Even better it was free due to loyalty points from CO2 cylinder swaps. I'll get it there now, saves driving 50 minutes to Craftbrewer.

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's probably about right, I'd imagine the area of the bottom is bigger than a flask or something. The height of yeast in mine vary between the 3L and 5L flasks because the 5L is a larger surface area on the bottom. The volume is the important part, also the cell growth isn't as much with intermittent shaking as it is with it constantly stirred for a day or whatever. 

How many litres is the starter?

Was the regulation 200g Wander LDM in 2L of water. Added the W34/70 yeast 15 g packet re-hydrated in 200ml of water. I've inputted that into the beer designer and its come up with 1.038 OG and finish at 1.009. Just tested the starter at 1.010 so I'm calling it done and its in the fridge chilling. I'm still bringing the sparkling ale down to 14° for priming so all good Otto....cheers

• Like 1

Yeah that ratio of LDM to water always gives that OG, it's a good one for yeast starters. There's enough malt sugars there for growing yeast without making the whole thing too alcoholic. 

I don't even bother testing FG on starters because it doesn't really matter. Once it starts clearing on its own I figure it's done. With the harvested jars I just leave the lid slightly loose in case it still has a bit to go, but they're put straight into the fridge anyway. 

I bought a set of 6 x 500ml from cheap as chips just for doing pickled onions. Their good jars but the plastic coating on the lids is a bit fragile and prone to corrosion from the SMB. I use a bit of foil or glad wrap to shield the yeast slurry from it now.

• Like 1

I'm using quart mason jars. I only keep three strains though. They just sit on the bottom at the back, and don't really take up much space. If I had room in the kegerator I'd put one or two in there. There is a small shelf at the back but bit hard to reach with kegs in it. My yeast starters are based on harvesting 800mL which works well. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

I’m using old jam jars at the moment, but want to get some vials for space saving.

I'm pretty sure Greeny uses vials. I reckon I asked him for some info recently that he nicely provided. Don't ask me what thread it is in though. 🤔 Hopefully he spots this & can assist.

27 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

...Plan on storing them in the keg fridge , that should get the wife off my case about them being in the food fridge.

If your partner is anything like mine, just place your yeast jars behind the 1 million different condiment jars that she has acquired over many years & used only once that occupy the entire top shelf of your food fridge, but won't allow you to throw out.

She'll never even know they are there. 😉

P.S. If you have to toss a couple of her jars to make space for yours, toss ones from the back that probably have expiry dates around the time you & her met. She won't miss them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 5