Coopers Community

17th century brewing

Australian history: Not 17th Century but none the less.

Taken from the book True Girt by David Hunt.  An Unauthorized History of Australia - Volume 2.

Governor Darling gets the sack, the boot, (the big A) from the Australian colonies and is ordered back to England.  William Charles Wentworth throws a big party. 

“On the day Darling left for England in 1831, the Monitor advertised “Mr. Wentworth’s Fete and Illumination”.  At which an ox and half a dozen sheep were to be roasted and washed down with Cooper’s beer to celebrate Darling’s departure.  Four thousand revellers’ turned up at Vaucluse House to party, fight and riot in a distinctly Australian way.

Wentworth, shouting and laughing, with a bottle in one hand and a bottle in the other, was carried above the heads of the adoring throng.”  Maybe Mr Wentworth had just invented political reform, press freedom, the crowd surfing.

Not a bad effort by Mr Cooper if that’s what / who the book was referring to when it said Cooper’s beer.  Mr Thomas Cooper would have been about 5 years old at that time and still in England.

Cheers - Al

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I think people are just after the general gist of things. Not necessarily a copy of the recipes.

Then buy the book, that will give you a gist of things and you will be supporting the people that put it together or are you wanting everything for free? I will remember that when I need something, just take it and sod the consequences 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, LeeD2 said:

Then buy the book, that will give you a gist of things and you will be supporting the people that put it together or are you wanting everything for free? I will remember that when I need something, just take it and sod the consequences 

Dude you posted a thread about 17th century brewing, a lot of brewers are interested in some differences, we don't want you to photocopy each page just an example of an recipe or difference in process to discuss or we can just make guesses. We were actively trying to be part of the thread but I guess you wanted something different? To take our experience and knowledge but share little to none of yours? Seems fair right.

This forum is about collaboration. If you just wanted to post about your book and provide no insight then you have only managed to make us aware of the book but have done nothing else to discuss it. Fair enough but again, a forum is about collaboration.

Enjoy your book

Norris

• Like 4

How about you share 1 recipe & we take up the challenge of "Ye Olde Ale" .

If it works for some they just may want to buy the recipe book. Why would you buy a car without a test drive?

• Like 2