Coopers Community

Stalled Brew?

hawker831

This seems to happen a lot for me, particularly with the darker beers.

Started the Belgian Chocolate Stout  on the 22/5 OG was 1.062 and things seemed to be going well for the first few days, bubbles, foam etc. Temp has been constant at 20 degrees.

However the last few days the SG has been stuck at 1.024, FG should be way less than that.

Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing with these darker beers that I'm missing out on?

Thanks,

Hawker

Your OG seems a little high by my calculations, but I admit I cannot account for any gravity increases related from cacao nibs additions & what further body they may leave post fermentation.

The yeast being used is a reasonably low attenuator (approx. 70-72%) so it is expected to leave more body in the beer at the end of fermentation. 

The Coopers DIY recipe spec suggests a wide span of final gravity expectations with this brew (1.014 - 1.019) of which you are still well short of.

I've answered very little that can help you, and have merely highlighted where you are at. I don't have a solution for a beer like this having not used this strain of yeast before. Hopefully someone that has used the strain before or the @Coopers DIY Beer Team can offer up something more helpful.

My usual response to this type of situation is to raise your ferment temp & re-rouse the yeast with a sanitised spoon & hope this kick starts fermentation again to finish off the remaining gravity points. Unless better advice comes along, it's certainly worth a try.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Maybe they went a bit light on the devils can yeast.

Out of curiosity did you guys use vanilla bean, extract or essence?

Yes JoeB7, I did use a vanilla bean, got it from Woolworths, cost $6.50 for one bean so certainly hope it was worth it. 😀

Neither brew are that far off finishing, I wouldn't call them stalled - the Coopers predicted FGs has a decent amount of wriggle room. Give them a few more days, maybe bump up the temp 2-3C. If they don't shift, they're done. Sometimes beers don't get all the way down, and some of Coopers calculated FGs are simply wrong.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

Whether it has been user error somewhere in the process, or a miscalculated FG, a number of the ROTMs I made failed to get ferment to the predicted FG. Some by a considerable way. I always tried a fast ferment test before bottling though just to be sure.

I'd give Beerlust's suggestions a go and possibly try a ferment test at the same time.

https://beerandwinejournal.com/ff-test-i/

• Like 1

I've never used s-33 either but It looks like it attenuates between 68-72%. So its a bit on the lazy side compared to US05. I suppose that's why they added the kit yeast. I put the recipe into IanH's spreadsheet:

7145205_BelgianChocolatestout.thumb.JPG.10beb44d9015402db2b558442337458e.JPG

With attenuation at 68% it should hit 1.020. So if your kit yeast wasn't viable or you didn't use it you're close to the low end. I wonder if the cacao nibs and the vanilla are bringing some further unfermentables that are boosting your gravity slightly. 

Lusty's advice is solid (as usual). You could also try to adding fresh yeast if you're determined to get it lower.

Anyway let us know how you go. I've got this ROTM due to go in next so I'm interested to hear.

Cheers

Nick.

• Like 1

Had the same thing happen to me doing this brew, stalled at 1.026. Used both the kit yeast and a packet of s-33. Raised the temp up to 21 and managed to get it moving again, finished at 1.020. 

• Like 1

I have found IanH to be very accurate. If 1020 is where it says it'll finish, that's reliable. It has often contradicted Coopers own recipe, and with brews I've done, the spreadsheet has shown to be the right one. I always bump up ales a few C for at least a couple of days, even if my OG looks to have bottomed out.

Both brews above are about done. Temp variables may be why they didn't get down to 1020. If you haven't warmed them up already, I would, but they've only a few points to go and might not get there.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Have raised the temp by 2c and have noticed a slight increase in activity so will give it two more days and see how it goes.  FG now reading 1.021 and taste test of sample was yum so anxiety has now waned. 

• 2 weeks later...