Coopers Community

Floaties

I made an extract Dark Ale with liquid light malt, dex and some cinnamon.  First time using cinnamon. Bottled it today and it smelt like dessert, just lovely. However, I bottled under the veranda with some lovely, late autumn sun poking through and I noticed quite a lot of floating particulates in the beer as I filled the bottles.
I did not cold crash and ferment temp was 20C for 9 days. FG was reached after 6 or 7 days.
I'm wondering if the cinnamon has created these floaties or is it I've just never noticed them before because I've never had sunshine exposing them while bottling before.

Im 62 and will give you an idea on how things have changed for me in the last 40 years. Growing up in Scotland i had 2 choices, lager or export (export was darker). I then moved to England and the choice became lager or bitter (many bitter brews). If in all this time i was poured a hazy beer it went back as off. Fast forward 5 years. BIAB was just that, i found a product that came in a very large pouch that you added yeast and hung it in the garage. Terrible stuff. Fast forward another 5 years. My Australian wife intoduced me to coopers sparkling ale. "Revelation" best beer i ever drank at the time. Fast forward 15 years. Had moved to Australia in 2000 and having drunk VB since arrival was content. 2010 i tried some coopers diy. Never bought the kit but picked the brews from the shelf. I always remember the antisipation my son and i had for the first brew. We eagerly said it was great,, but (read on).

After another couple of brews i wanted to try a stout, so bought the can and LHBS stout enhancer. Bottling desaster as this black shit blocked my wand. Gave up after leaving a beer too long in fv and tasted terrible. Went to a mates house in Perth and he had kegerator. I bought one and got back into brewing. Many ups and downs. Moral of this this story. A beer need not be clear. But with correct technique and subtle additions of hops or any other addition, most of them will drop out in the bottle and your first pour will be good.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

I remember “cinnamon spiders” from a beer I made maaaaany years ago.

Firstly, sunlight is your enemy.

Otherwise, RDWHAHB

Yeah I'm aware of the sunlight thing. Fermentation was in a fridge under the veranda and I bottled late in the day so the sun was coming in from the side. Probably only 30 minutes exposure, hopefully not any harm done.

In my first run at home brewing ( about 7ish years ago) I made a either a dark ale or stout with cinnamon - I remember seeing floaters or spiders in bottle.  I did some googling and it seems pretty common. Unfortunately I can't remember much more as and my note book doesn't go back that far.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

In my first run at home brewing ( about 7ish years ago) I made a either a dark ale or stout with cinnamon - I remember seeing floaters or spiders in bottle.  I did some googling and it seems pretty common. Unfortunately I can't remember much more as and my note book doesn't go back that far.

Beer was ok otherwise, Nicolas?

On 5/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, MUZZY said:

Beer was ok otherwise, Nicolas?

I believe so. I wasn't a particular fan of what the cinnamon brought. I'd be interesting to hear how you go -I've been considering doing a version of the chai latte stout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NicolasW said:

I believe so. I wasn't a particular fan of what the cinnamon brought. I'd be interesting to hear how you go -I've been considering doing a version of the chai latte stout.

I'll try to remember to give feedback when it's ready.

@MUZZY ,  Sometimes I think we must be related.   I also have a cinnamon dark ale that I am bottling.   

I recall @Shamus O'Sean  saying the cinnamon was subtle when he brewed a 

Spicy Brunette

so I pumped up the cinnamon dosage and brewed with a BE2.   I am glad it did.  

I didn't notice any floaties  but I did cold crash the brew and it noticeably clarified in the process.  While it was down at 1º I filled a bottle and lightly carbed it with the Soda King and gave it taste test.   Yum.  I must admit I am a bit fan of cinnamon and I like the spice and warmth it brings to the dark ale.   Lovely winter drinking.  I am making up a bowl of raisins and nuts to have with it and plan on consuming some more in front of the fire while bingeing the early series of Homeland.   I expect to nod off in the middle of season 2.  

Edited by James of Bayswater
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

I am making up a bowl of raisins and nuts to have with it and plan on consuming some more in front of the fire while bingeing the early series of Homeland.   I expect to nod off in the middle of season 2.  

@James of Bayswater And running to the toilet during seasons 3 &4 ha ha.🤣  I also love munching on high quality dried sultanas from the home town, mixed in with salted peanuts but boy you don't want to have a fishing trip planned for the next couple of days.😧

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
spelling

Speaking of floaties,  Last night I tried a couple of stubbies of my Coopers Lager which was bottles way back on the 5th Feb.  I think it has past its peak and gone down hill slightly only because of the minute almost transparent floaties that the carb bubbles have disturbed through the beer.  First stubbie I thought I must have just tipped some of the yeas sediment into the glass, but second one very careful and still floaties.  The beer is crystal clear except for these and you have to really look in order to see them as they almost look like tiny bubbles.   This lager was not hopped by me so its not hop matter, I think it has to be some sort of protein like particles that have formed since about 1 month ago when last had a drink of this lager batch.  They have been stored in a dark cool place since carbing up.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
typo

4 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

@MUZZY ,  Sometimes I think we must be related.   I also have a cinnamon dark ale that I am bottling.   

You must be from the good looking side of the family, James. I have a head like a busted a--hole. LOL

Edited by MUZZY

Muz, get back to me with a report on your cinnamon dark ale.  I am keen to know what you think.

I have cheated and forced carbed mine and I am loving it, but then I am a cinnamon fan.  It brings a heat to the Dark Ale that plays well against the dark malt.  I want to go further down the spice road too - I can see a place for star anise, cloves, ground ginger, coriander even chili.   The dark ale kit is a beauty  and it invites spice more so than hops IMO.   

I have even heard that it can make you even more handsome if you drink enough of it.  ( You had better get the big mug out ) 😚  ... I might have had enough. 

• Haha 2

I brewed spicy brunette years, ago from memory she was more of a choclate ebony, is so much as i couldn't really taste the cinnamon & it pretty much just tasted like a dark ale... have you guys increased the cinnamon dose or altered the spicy brunette recipe in any way? Could the addition of cloves, chillies & cinnamon be unwanted additions i wonder?

Yep.  I used 'fresh' ground quills and basically doubled the dose.   I get heat, and I get a warm cinnamon afterburn.  It plays well against the dark malt.  I don't get chocolate.

I must admit I have found a lot of 'craft' beer to be rudely hopped and over done (and over priced).  But not everyone does, obviously.  And I like spice, but not everyone else does.   That's all good.  Difference is what makes us interesting.  It is when anyone attempts to declare that everyone must conform to their taste that I get narky.     Cloves, chili and cinnamon might well be unwanted additions if you don't like cloves, chili and cinnamon.  In that case I would advise not to use them if you don't like them.   

3 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

Muz, get back to me with a report on your cinnamon dark ale.  I am keen to know what you think.

I have cheated and forced carbed mine and I am loving it, but then I am a cinnamon fan.  It brings a heat to the Dark Ale that plays well against the dark malt.  I want to go further down the spice road too - I can see a place for star anise, cloves, ground ginger, coriander even chili.   The dark ale kit is a beauty  and it invites spice more so than hops IMO.   

I have even heard that it can make you even more handsome if you drink enough of it.  ( You had better get the big mug out ) 😚  ... I might have had enough. 

I'll try to remember, JoB. It's only been bottled a few days ago. I drink my beers in the order they're made and there's about 10 boxes in front of the cinnamon dark ale in the consumption line at the moment. I'd guess some time in July would be the go.

Just a follow up on the dark ale with cinnamon. I haven't tried it yet as it's only been in the bottle 8 days. Bottles are firm but not rock hard yet and there's still floaties. Not cloudy but particles about the size of 1/2 a grain of rice. I'm hoping refrigeration before drinking will cure this. Fingers crossed.