Coopers Community

Stout/Cider Temp Control

Hodgo

I want to put a choc belgium stout and a mangrove jack cider down at the same time, I only have one temp controlled fridge and my laundry temp varies between 16 and 22 degrees at the moment, which brew goes in the fridge and which one goes in the laundry ??

From your threads headline I momentarily thought you were brewing an apple stout cider! A cider.. only with roasted & choc grains etc

Journey mans on the money temp control for cider isn't important as it's so clean it won't really throw any funky ester's. 

Probably pass on a cider at present but a stout in this weather goes hand in glove.

Edited by Ocean's of Ale-

What yeast are you using to ferment your Belgian Stout? What is the temp rating on it? Most ale yeast has difficulty getting started below 18C. 

On the package Mangrove Jack says their cider yeast is best between 18-24C. On their website it says it can ferment as low as 12C, but be prepared to be patient. 

I used Mangrove Jack's cider yeast once, to ferment a cider at ambient in the winter. I was quite excited to try it as it gets good reviews. I had my furnace set to 21C but the FV was sitting next to an outside wall.  After three days of no airlock activity I discovered the temp was 16.5C. I moved the cider to my brew fridge and set the Inkbird 22C,  but 24 hours later there was still no airlock activity. Perhaps I should have been more patient, but I pitched another yeast onto it.

Cheers,

Christina.

Yeah got plenty of time no dramas there, I was just going to use the coopers sachet for the stout as I watched a youtube video a while back that stated yeast flavours won't bother a choc stout