rosta2020

Brew Enhancers vs. Malt extracts

Hey guys,

Just wondering what results to expect from using malt extracts only, versus using Brew Enhancers such as BE1, BE2, BE3?

I like the idea of just using malt, for simplicity of ingredients. But would like to know more on what the advantages are of this approach?

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Malt won't ferment out as much, but provides extra flavour, body and better head retention. The BE boxes are a mix of Dex, maltodex and malt, increasing in malt ratio as you go up to 3. Someone will have the link to the proportions.

It's mostly about preference. Personally, I use malt all the time, except when I want a lighter bodied beer in summer, then I'd go with BE3, or the HBS equivalent. Anything less, makes too thin a beer for me.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

lab cat hit it on the head. Adjusts your residual sugars and alcohol (and your final gravity). I generally opt for Light dry malt extract unless I am doing something that's high gravity, and want it be less filling at the end (eg a result like belgian tripel or dubbel).

In case you don't know:

Light Dry Malt extract (LDME) = Partially fermentable 

Dextrose (corn sugar) = Fully Fermentable (white table sugar is also fully fermentable)

maltodextrin = not fermentable

Borrowed from Cellar Dweller:

Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt (500g/250g/250g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g)

Edited by NicolasW
  • Like 1

I still use the brew enhancers depending on what type of beer I'm making. I also use liquid malt extract tins. They are great because they don't clump when mixing. They're also more economical than using dry malt if you're sourcing your ingredients from the Coopers online store but keep in mind 1.5kg liquid malt is approx. equivalent of 1.2kg of dry.

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

also use liquid malt extract tins.

But Muzz don't you reckon liquid malts bring a lot more to the table... better head and head retention?  I always used them AS WELL AS dry... not instead of...

But found that dry just does not crack it for good head and head retention that liquid malt provides.

And yeah for sure Liquid Malt is better than Dry Malt is better than Dex is better than Sugar...

Tho I think @rosta2020 Rosta in general that

• 1 Coopers Kit PLUS
  • 1 Coopers Liquid Malt Can PLUS
  • 1kg Box of BE/Malt for stronger - or 1/2 box for around 5.1% - or 250g for 4.7%
  • 23L Water

usually turns out a pretty nice brew when doing Kit and Kilo.

Example below Rosta mate.

Reduce the dry if want less ABV.

Cheers all and good brewing.

BB

image.thumb.png.872dde33d9098439d9a4aaa76283928e.png

• Thanks 2

As posted on plenty of other threads, Breakdown of brew enhancer packs as per below.  I still use some BE2 in a favorite batch of mine but going to take @Bearded Burbler the Burbler's advice and try that very same recipe with some liquid light malt instead when it arrives and see/taste for myself.

Tried to order a couple of cartons of the LME but there is a six tin limit at the moment.

Cheers - AL

Cooper BE packs - typical breakdown of contents.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Tho I think @rosta2020 Rosta in general that

• 1 Coopers Kit PLUS
  • 1 Coopers Liquid Malt Can PLUS
  • 1kg Box of BE/Malt for stronger - or 1/2 box for around 5.1% - or 250g for 4.7%
  • 23L Water

Wow, really rate this recipe advice and the graphic mate. Just did a big order from coopers, so going to follow ur advice and go next two brews:

- dark ale kit, liquid amber malt, 500g LDM

- APA kit, liquid light malt, 500g LDM

EDIT: @Bearded Burbler, whilst we're here.. was having a conversation on another thread about yeast. From experience, would you say the kit yeast is enough to get through the recipe you suggested above? Or do you use extra?

Cheers

Edited by rosta2020
  • Like 1

Real ale + Amber malt is a winner. Can't say I have noticed a diff between light dry malt and the liquid version though.

I also used the Amber malt in my latest bitter. I think it goes well with the dark beers, Much prefer it to light, dry or tin.

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Tried to order a couple of cartons of the LME

Luvyerwork Boozer Ha Ha!!!  Seems like a few others are thinking the same hey Ha Ha now there's a 'bag limit' on liquid malt cans 😝

45 minutes ago, rosta2020 said:

order from coopers,

This is what I recommend my "Aley" mates on start-up of their brew journey... and that you might need a helt belt/pad and an inkbird (or other) temp controller..

image.png.9f3536fe1d3ee0d96cc338090bc9d91b.png

47 minutes ago, rosta2020 said:

would you say the kit yeast is enough to get through the recipe you suggested above

When I did KnK, to begin with I just used whatever the kits come with... later then maybe buy one dry yeast pack for a brew e.g. one pack of US05 for Ales which is 11.5g and bigger than the Kit' yeast pack.

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey I think suggests at least rehydrating the dry yeast... Kelsey - that is probably a good idea and not too hard to do hey (other than making sure not to get a wild yeast infection while doing it with any small contam issues on vessels utilised ?).

I did get away with just sprinking on for my KnKs... tho it's a bit hard to remember exactly as I have been doing some sort of starter now for a while...

But I never bought more yeast than one pack per brew i.e. two packs seemed an extra expense that for me at least could not be justified.  Or just used the Kit yeast.

For those who can buy more well that is cool too hey.

For interest sake, I currently do a toucan in 10ltr batch, let’s say a coopers Apa, it brings me around 5.2-5.3abv, if I added a can of LME what would this do to both the flavour and the Abv?

And would it be worth doing, or alternatively, do two batches, say an Apa in one and a lager in the other and use half a can in one and half in the other?..... as I have two 10ltr fvs.

Posted (edited)

Get the spreadsheet linked above. You can play around and see what happens when you add/remove things. 👍

Edited by Instigator
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

This is what I recommend my "Aley" mates on start-up of their brew journey...

Plus $60 for another 60 bottles and lids, as they won't be empty before at least Brew 4 or 5.... depends on how thirsty one is, but the 4 weeks bottle conditioning is the hardest bit 🙂

• Haha 2

When funds permitted I quite enjoyed stockpiling 60 new coopers long necks 🥴🤪

Sparkling Ale/Stout fifty's (yes I have a drinking problem)

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

I never though of buying long necks!

Cooper Largies are the biz... buy on Spesh... great bottles for HB.  Heaviest Glass Beer Bottles in Australia (from Frank email helpdesk at Coopers a few years ago).

But you will require a capper and get a bench capper if you can to make life a bit easier...

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But you will require a capper and get a bench capper if you can to make life a bit easier...

True, but I don't have to be as careful (or peel off Coopers labels) with PETs. For now. I am sure one day I will be mashing my own grain, boiling my own wort with a broom and a pointy hat, cultivating my own yeast, and growing my own sugar cane! (ie I am happy with baby steps) 😀

Of course: Apart from Solving a great debate for the CDIY community of Comparing Liquid vs Dry Malt! (Hopefully pitching it tomorrow!) 😛😅

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

try that very same recipe with some liquid light malt instead

Each to their own hey Boozer and @pilotsh Pilot... but I reckon Liquid Malt helps produce a better beer...

I did plenty the basic way... and then tried different things... and LME seemed to make a difference over DME.

There may be some punters who like the DME dry malt prod, dex or even sugar...

But I reckon the Liquid stuff is deffo worth a crack and will be really good to see what you Brewers think 👨‍🔬

Edited by Bearded Burbler

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

or peel off Coopers labels

Ha ha mine are all still well stuck on Pilot!!!

And it was quite nice being committed to Burbler Brewings' Bottle Inventory keeping an eye out for Coopers Largies on Special ha ha?!

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 5/21/2020 at 6:38 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

But Muzz don't you reckon liquid malts bring a lot more to the table... better head and head retention?  I always used them AS WELL AS dry... not instead of...

But found that dry just does not crack it for good head and head retention that liquid malt provides.

And yeah for sure Liquid Malt is better than Dry Malt is better than Dex is better than Sugar...

Hey Burbs.
Yeah the liquid malt rocks but it's not as readily available as the BEs and dry malt. I can only get it through Coopers online store and I only use that when the delivery is free.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

liquid malt rocks but it's not as readily available as the BEs and dry malt.

Because you live in a remote area or COVID supply related? It's a travesty that a fellow brewer misses out on supplies! 😥

Just now, pilotsh said:

Because you live in a remote area or COVID supply related? It's a travesty that a fellow brewer misses out on supplies! 😥

I live in Radelaide but the liq malts aren't in my local Drakes or Dans, only the dry malt and BEs. I guess I could get them from my LHBS (if they stock them) but it's not as local as the aforementioned retailers.

• Sad 1