Coopers Community

Short on LDM

Yatesy83

Hi everyone. Just joined up after putting on my first brew in over 15 years. Of course I made a rookie mistake and only put in half the light dry malt than I should have. So can I just slowly sprinkle more in or am I better off dissolving it into a saturated solution and adding it?

Just another query, by adding it in the day after, would this potentially increase the time it takes to ferment? I’m at day 7 with gravity halfway between where I started and where I’m thinking it should be done. This is a batch of the sharkfin ale. I’m itching to get some dry hops into it but wondering if it’s still a whisker early. Brew temp has been 18-20.

23 hours ago, Yatesy83 said:

Just another query, by adding it in the day after, would this potentially increase the time it takes to ferment? I’m at day 7 with gravity halfway between where I started and where I’m thinking it should be done. This is a batch of the sharkfin ale. I’m itching to get some dry hops into it but wondering if it’s still a whisker early. Brew temp has been 18-20.

If you added the extra half of missing LDM a day after the brew started it should not change you timing by more than a day.

You have not said what your SG is.  But I would add the dry hop anyway.  Hopefully your brew has not stalled.  What temperature were you brewing at?  If you used the US-05 and the brew can yeast that should be plenty unless the fermentation temperature has dropped, which is possible at this time of year.

• Like 1

SG started around 1.040 and is currently 1.024 7 days later. Was thinking it should finish around 1.010? Using US05 pitched at 22 degrees and brew temp has stayed around 20 no colder than 18. I gave in and dry hopped and was thinking of pulling the bag out after 3 days so it doesn’t go grassy. If it’s still dropping I’m half tempted to do a light second dry hop. It’s a bit weird, 15 years ago we just brewed until bubbling stopped and threw it in a bottle. It has thrown me a bit.

17 minutes ago, Yatesy83 said:

SG started around 1.040 and is currently 1.024 7 days later. Was thinking it should finish around 1.010? Using US05 pitched at 22 degrees and brew temp has stayed around 20 no colder than 18. I gave in and dry hopped and was thinking of pulling the bag out after 3 days so it doesn’t go grassy. If it’s still dropping I’m half tempted to do a light second dry hop. It’s a bit weird, 15 years ago we just brewed until bubbling stopped and threw it in a bottle. It has thrown me a bit.

Yes.  SG 1.024 looks like not finished.  I do not dry hop for more than three days.  Oops, I tell a lie.  I did a brew recently that I dry hopped for four days.  Distinctly grassy notes in the flavour and aroma.

Back on the subject, somethings not right.  US-05 would usually get you lower than your current SG.  If it does not drop, I would not bottle this one.  Too much risk of unfermented sugars creating bottle bombs in the future.  Kegging okay because they are more pressure resistant.

Options to re-invigorate 

• Extra heat
  • Stir up yeast a bit
  • Add extra yeast, with a rehydration

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Yatesy83, I should have added that these may achieve nothing at all.  Stalled ferments are a bit of a lottery.

Thanks mate, have started a new yeast culture with the coopers packet yeast. Will get a good head on it and add it in to try get it cranking. Heat and a stir seems to have helped a little but I don’t want to let it struggle too long. Have spoken to a few crew from around here, the place I got the stuff from has a bit of a rep for letting Packets of expensive (quality) yeast sit in hot/cold temps and out on the shelf for a while. Might try another place and see if it works better next time. Beer still bubbling very slowly. Will check the sg tomorrow and decide whether to pitch the new active yeast. Fingers crossed it works as it smells darn good!

• Like 2

Well the starter of new yeast hasn’t really made much difference in terms of what the airlock seems to be producing, apart from a short term increase. I’m going to check SG tonight and sanitise some bottles for a potential bottling party soon