Coopers Community

Too Strain or Not too Strain....

Thecko

Well about to start my 2nd brew and this time I’m going to add hops to my brew. I’ve got my heat belt and temp controller for the fridge and now I’m ready to brew further.

my next brew is a recipe from the community site ‘Shark Attack’ this monster of a thing has:

mexican cerveza/LDM/ BEH 3 and the following hops, Centennial/Citra/ Amarillo all sounds bloody good😁. Hoping it has a bite!🦈

So fellow brewers my question is after the boil do I strain the hops? Leave the hops and pour in FV where I believe they would sink to bottom. I’m not sure! I want full flavour and punch and want to allow the hops to do their thing. I’ve read different things now I’m reaching out.
Any suggestions fellow brewers.......

• Like 1

Once you've boiled or steeped your hops, they're done. So I'd strain it in.  

The dry hopping component will do the rest. Best to do that with a sanitised chux or hop sock, to keep the hop matter intact, and you can squeeze it out when it's done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, Lab Cat said:

Once you've boiled or steeped your hops, they're done. So I'd strain it in.  

The dry hopping component will do the rest. Best to do that with a sanitised chux or hop sock, to keep the hop matter intact, and you can squeeze it out when it's done.

+1 to what Lab Cat said.

Just to clarify on the final point he made regarding dry hopping, squeeze that liquid gently back into your beer in the fermenter, not down the sink. The liquid contained within the hop matter is often highly aromatic & flavoursome, so best not to waste it & retain as much of that as possible back into your beer (IMHO).

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

About to do a drop hop and was gonna place hops in bag sterilised then drop into FV. Just wondering whether a weight inside bag would help with hops sitting on bottom of FV to get more flavour and oils from hops rather then bobbing on top of wort. Any thoughts....

It should become sodden & sink into the brew Thecko, like a tea bag.

I'd be reluctant to introduce foriegn materials into the FV. Sterilised glass or SS probably OK but let hops do their hoppin' freely

Hey @Thecko, I have taken to putting 8-10 sanitised glass marbles into my Chux dry hopping cloths, with the dry hops.  Otherwise they float on the surface and I figure I am not getting the most out of the hops compared to if I can get them to sink.  I also attach a sanitised fishing line to the cloth to "fish" it out after three days in the brew.

Another option I have used is a sanitised shot glass.  Switched to marbles when my son started to crack the sads when he could not find any shot glasses in the cupboard.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Haha 2

So fishing sinkers are out 😁! Shot glass sounds the best. I intend to leave hops (Dry Hopping) in for 7 days. I should set the fishing rod up Shamus to fish it out when done mate.😁 

10 hours ago, Thecko said:

So fishing sinkers are out 😁! Shot glass sounds the best. I intend to leave hops (Dry Hopping) in for 7 days. I should set the fishing rod up Shamus to fish it out when done mate.😁 

Seven days sounds a long time.  You risk grassy flavours.  I take mine out after around three full days, so 72 hours after I put them in.  I have a beer at the moment that due to other distractions was dry hopped for around 4 and a half days.  It is grassy.  Just drinkable.  Gives a new meaning to lawnmower lager.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thecko said:

No thanks grassy flavour isn’t for me! I’ll try 3 days dry hopping then. Brew is only 6 days in I’ll leave for another 3-4 before dry hops.👍

You can experiment later on, but starting at three days is good.

• Like 1

I use these.... muslinbag.jpg 

They are Muslin Bags, $3 for 5 at your local Kmart.  Big teabag really.  Drawstring provided.  Washable and reusable.  Boil them to sanitize.  They are an open weave so water drains straight through them while anything solid stays in the bag.   When I get stable gravity I toss the hop bag in and cold crash.  I don't bother sinking it or fishing it out - unless it is interfering with the bottling.   

Edit : also good for separating curds from whey when making yoghurt cheese (labneh),  bouquet garni (a bunch of herbs you throw in a soup or stew) and potpourri (a bunch of herbs hanging on a nail in the dunny).

Edited by Thirsty Jim
  • Like 2

I've never weighed down my dry hop bags, never had any issues or poor aromatic results. Just give them a good dunking (no splashing) when you first put them in the FV to make sure all the hop matter comes in contact with the beer, & make sure they are not packed too tightly in the bag to allow for absorption & spread.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1