Coopers Community

Lemon drop lager

DavidB

Hi everyone, 

Looking to do something a bit different and want to try a Coopers Golden Crown Lager kit with some lemon drop hops. Was thinking to add 1.5kg dry malt and 500g dex, but not sure how much lemon drop to add, or when to add it as I've never used it before. Also not sure if I should throw in any other hops that might compliment it. Any advice is appreciated. 

Dave. 

3 hours ago, DavidB said:

Hi everyone, 

Looking to do something a bit different and want to try a Coopers Golden Crown Lager kit with some lemon drop hops. Was thinking to add 1.5kg dry malt and 500g dex, but not sure how much lemon drop to add, or when to add it as I've never used it before. Also not sure if I should throw in any other hops that might compliment it. Any advice is appreciated. 

Dave. 

I haven't used lemon drop just yet but I'd imagine boiling up some of the dry malt in a couple of litres of water and then steeping some hops for 15 minutes might be ok. Also use 50g or so for a dry hop. It all depends on your taste buds at the end of the day. 

Yep as AussieK said it depends on taste. The method he described is pretty much the starndard method to flavour a kit. If you want a bigger hit of the Lemondrop, or any other hops, go to 4g/L or higher with the dry hop.   

I've used lemon drop and like it. I'd drop those amounts suggested above to 25g in the 'tea' and 25 as dry hops. Unless you are a big fan of lemon beer? They deliver quite the lemon flavour and aroma so start lower I would say - you can bump it up next time if you wish. My reasoning is better to have a beer with something pleasant that you might like more of than something that's a pain to drink because there's too much of it.

Having said that, if it IS too much, you can always just leave it a few weeks - hops tends to fade over time.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2

@Hoppy81 I am not long off getting back into AG, just got to get some new gear organised.  The Galaxy and lemondrop hops combo has pricked my ears up and it might be a brew I should try.

Do you mind sharing your AG recipe so I can pick the eyes out it of it / bastardize it to suit my tastes?

Cheers - AL

36 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I"m drinking an all grain lemondrop lager at the moment, awesome hop for Lagers, i also added some Galaxy to it. I'd go 25g 10 minutes boil and 40g dry hop.

I don't have any Galaxy atm, thinking maybe adding some Citra with the Lemon Drop instead?

The other hops I have are Amarillo, Calypso, Centennial, Czech Saaz & Hallartau. 

3 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I don't have any Galaxy atm, thinking maybe adding some Citra with the Lemon Drop instead?

The other hops I have are Amarillo, Calypso, Centennial, Czech Saaz & Hallartau. 

Maybe just try the lemondrop and get a taste of it by itself ?

5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Maybe just try the lemondrop and get a taste of it by itself ?

That would certainly be the sensible way to go 😉

Edited by DavidB

10 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

...The Coopers XPA recipe uses 25g mosaic & 12.5g LD for both a short boil and dry hop and it's a great beer.

The Coopers XPA actually uses Simcoe & Lemondrop. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ended up making this last weekend, went with 30g lemon drop for 15 minutes, will dry hop with probably another 40g. Ended up using S-23 over W-34/70 as the better half said it needed "the lemony looking yeast since it's a lemony beer" 🤔. Looks like it's chugging along nicely (bottom fermenter), can't wait to try it. 

20200509_105553.jpg

• Like 2