Coopers Community

Adding Brew Enhancer 3 to the XPA recipe, yes / no?

TonySchmidt

Hi everyone, I’m going to put down a “Coopers XPA” as found in the recipe section of the DIY Beer site.

I have all of the ingredients however am substituting the respective hops with El Dorado and Azacca. 

At first I could not buy the light dry malt, so bought the Brew Enhancer 3 for its malt content.

My question is, if I add the brew enhancer 3 to the wort on top of all the other malt (light crystal grains 400g, light liquid malt extract 1.5kg and light dry malt 500g), will it do anything adverse to the brew?

thanks for any / all advice, this is a great community!

Tony

It shouldn't change the brew quality but will make it a bit stronger.

I've done XPA 3 times now and the hops makes a BIG difference. The 1st 2 I did were very nice beers but when I got the right hops in it was excellent. If you can. get the lemon drop at least - I'm not sure there is a hops equivalent to it from my experience in the XPA.

• Like 1

Hey @TonySchmidt

As Journeyman says, the brew will be stronger.  You will increase it from around 5.4% to around 6.8%.  I would also use more yeast.  Around double would be my recommendation.  Any 23L brew with an OG of above 1.050 is best done with two packets of yeast.  It would be quite an effort to get double the Coopers Commercial Yeast going (from 12 stubbies of Pale Ale).  You might be best to drink them over a couple of nights.  Leave the yeast dregs in the bottles, cover the tops with gladwrap and pop back in the fridge until you have your 12 stubbies ready to harvest. 

El Dorado and Azacca hops are higher in alpha acids than Simcoe and Lemondrop.  Therefore, you will get more bitterness from them than original recipe.

This extra bitterness might be okay because it should offset the greater maltiness from the BE3.

You will produce more of an IPA, but I am sure it will be good.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
Added the yeast comment. It is important
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @TonySchmidt, see if you can download a clean copy of the IanH spreadsheet.  See if you can fix up the OG and FG calculations.  They look messed up.  Here's my version with your ingredients (had to pick Galaxy because I do not have El Dorado or Azzaca in my version).

test.jpg.cf35372b4973c21285ba13ac862afa30.jpg

Hey @Shamus O'Sean, cheers for the feedback. Looks way different to be fair, do you have a clean copy of the IanH spreadsheet? Not sure where in the forums to look for one, I've just previously downloaded ones that I have seen.

8 hours ago, TonySchmidt said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean, cheers for the feedback. Looks way different to be fair, do you have a clean copy of the IanH spreadsheet? Not sure where in the forums to look for one, I've just previously downloaded ones that I have seen.

Here you go... There's a 4.2 version but I think it was modded by someone else. This is the last version I kn ow is from IanH

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls

Edited by Journeyman
  • Thanks 1