Coopers Community

OG 1.140 is this possible?

TBK

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding a very high OG.

I have made a stout this afternoon and before pitching the yeast I took a sample (aftet discarding the first sample) and the OG reading was 1.140. Is this possible..

What I have used was:

1x 1.7kg Coopers stout kit
1x 1.5kg liquid dark malt
1x 500g light dry malt
1x 500g lactose

Any idea why the OG is so high?

Rgds,

T.

Hi,

I have made it to 23L.

I must have mixed it for a good 10min to make sure i have everything mixed up properly.

Its in the fermeneter for 3 days now. Will see how it goes after a couple of days.

Could it be due to the amount of ingredients in there?

2 minutes ago, TBK said:

Could it be due to the amount of ingredients in there?

I did a stout with:

1 x Cooper Stout
1 x Coopers Dark Ale
750g LDME
300g Light Crystal
250g Amber malt
450g Ale malt

and got around 1.075 so I think your OG is a tad high. 😄

Yeah that's way off. My calculation puts it at about 1.058-60 for the OG, so 1.140 is definitely wrong. 

Unless the sample tube wasn't filled high enough for the hydrometer to actually float, you've probably taken a thick sample somehow, or the hydro is stuffed. There aren't really any other reasons it would read that far out. 

59 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah that's way off. My calculation puts it at about 1.058-60 for the OG, so 1.140 is definitely wrong. 

Unless the sample tube wasn't filled high enough for the hydrometer to actually float, you've probably taken a thick sample somehow, or the hydro is stuffed. There aren't really any other reasons it would read that far out. 

Say it wasnt well mixed through. Is there any reason for concern and will it still ferment ok. Or should I just cut my losses and bin it?

19 minutes ago, TBK said:

Say it wasnt well mixed through. Is there any reason for concern and will it still ferment ok. Or should I just cut my losses and bin it?

It'll ferment fine, no need to bin it. If you calculate the ABV just use the OG I noted, it'll be pretty accurate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'll ferment fine, no need to bin it. If you calculate the ABV just use the OG I noted, it'll be pretty accurate

Thanks Otto.