Jump to content
TBK

OG 1.140 is this possible?

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

I have a question regarding a very high OG.

I have made a stout this afternoon and before pitching the yeast I took a sample (aftet discarding the first sample) and the OG reading was 1.140. Is this possible..

What I have used was:

1x 1.7kg Coopers stout kit
1x 1.5kg liquid dark malt
1x 500g light dry malt
1x 500g lactose

 

Any idea why the OG is so high?

 

Rgds,

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many litres did you make it to?
Also, did you mix it all properly. Your sample might be not thoroughly mixed ie. sludgy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's entirely possible to have an SG that high but muzzy raises some good points. 

Without doing the calculation, I'd expect those ingredients to be more somewhere between the 1.050-60 mark if mixed to 23 litres. As the volume drops, the OG rises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I have made it to 23L.

I must have mixed it for a good 10min to make sure i have everything mixed up properly.

 

Its in the fermeneter for 3 days now. Will see how it goes after a couple of days.

 

Could it be due to the amount of ingredients in there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TBK said:

Could it be due to the amount of ingredients in there?

I did a stout with:

1 x Cooper Stout
1 x Coopers Dark Ale
750g LDME
300g Light Crystal
250g Amber malt
450g Ale malt

and got around 1.075 so I think your OG is a tad high. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's way off. My calculation puts it at about 1.058-60 for the OG, so 1.140 is definitely wrong. 

Unless the sample tube wasn't filled high enough for the hydrometer to actually float, you've probably taken a thick sample somehow, or the hydro is stuffed. There aren't really any other reasons it would read that far out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah that's way off. My calculation puts it at about 1.058-60 for the OG, so 1.140 is definitely wrong. 

Unless the sample tube wasn't filled high enough for the hydrometer to actually float, you've probably taken a thick sample somehow, or the hydro is stuffed. There aren't really any other reasons it would read that far out. 

Say it wasnt well mixed through. Is there any reason for concern and will it still ferment ok. Or should I just cut my losses and bin it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBK said:

Or should I just cut my losses and bin it?

HELL NO.
 

RDWHAHB

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TBK said:

Say it wasnt well mixed through. Is there any reason for concern and will it still ferment ok. Or should I just cut my losses and bin it?

It'll ferment fine, no need to bin it. If you calculate the ABV just use the OG I noted, it'll be pretty accurate. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'll ferment fine, no need to bin it. If you calculate the ABV just use the OG I noted, it'll be pretty accurate

Thanks Otto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Coopers Hydrometer doesn't even read that high.  It bulbs at 1.100 .    1.140 is the SG of molasses.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...