Jump to content
bigrmac

Munton's Gold Continental Pilsner Lager kit

Recommended Posts

After cutting my teeth on several coopers kits i'm ready to branch out, my current brew will be ready to drink in a few days so have ordered the aforementioned kit for my next brew.

This will be my first 'all extract' kit so I guess my question is, is there anything different to expect from one of these kits?

and, what type of yeast is used?

I also plan to up my water game with this brew, the tap water in my part of the world (Norfolk, England) is perfectly drinkable but is on the hard side as it is drawn from chalk aquifers, i think 25ltrs of basic supermarket spring water should help improve my brew quality 

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigrmac said:

i think 25ltrs of basic supermarket spring water should help improve my brew quality

In these troubled times will they let you buy that much? 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Journeyman said:

In these troubled times will they let you buy that much? 😄 

might take a few trips...

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Again,

I have been procrastinating over the Muntons all extract brew for a while now, the kit came with a sachet marked 'lager yeast 6g'.

First off 6g seems far too little for a 25 litre lager brew

Second I am not able to find out much about this yeast, I did find one post on the home brew forum saying it is a true lager yeast and should be fermented at approx 13oc

 

I am now thinking I might just get 2 sachets of Saflager S-23 but that might be easier said than done at the minute.

Thoughts?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would it be 23 litres?

I've never made a Muntons kit. I do know they had a reputation for not putting enough yeast in the kits.
I think it used to be 5 grams. I read quite a few stories on a UK forum about stuck brews.

If you ferment it at 13C you really only to buy one Saflager yeast. Use that and the Muntons.
That's what I'd do if the Muntons is a Lager yeast.

It was a while ago but I'm sure I've read if you're going to do the Lager at 13C or so you need two packets of yeast.
That's what I used the first time and then washed and reused the yeast.

Edited by Graculus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bigrmac said:

Hi Again,

I have been procrastinating over the Muntons all extract brew for a while now, the kit came with a sachet marked 'lager yeast 6g'.

First off 6g seems far too little for a 25 litre lager brew

I am now thinking I might just get 2 sachets of Saflager S-23 but that might be easier said than done at the minute.

Thoughts?

 

I always use an aftermarket yeast. Kits yeasts are optimized to work at whatever amount they give you. But I have found certain brands/strains to be far more consistent and reliable, and none have come from under a tin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't edit my post above but at least one of the Coopers Lager recipes say to use 2 packets of Saflager.

I have done that in the past. I'm pretty sure I've also used the kit yeast from a Coopers Euro Lager and an extra Saflager too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say for certain that no kit lager done at lager temps using only the kit yeast will give you a good beer. Its not enough yeast to give you a good clean crisp ferment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Graculus said:

Would it be 23 litres?

I've never made a Muntons kit. I do know they had a reputation for not putting enough yeast in the kits.
I think it used to be 5 grams. I read quite a few stories on a UK forum about stuck brews.

If you ferment it at 13C you really only to buy one Saflager yeast. Use that and the Muntons.
That's what I'd do if the Muntons is a Lager yeast.

It was a while ago but I'm sure I've read if you're going to do the Lager at 13C or so you need two packets of yeast.
That's what I used the first time and then washed and reused the yeast.

I will double check but I think its actually 25litres for this kit.

That seems to fit with what I expected, 6g fermenting at low temp and only fermenting extract. It just doesn't seem anywhere near enough to, especially when like you say 2x 11.5g S-23 sachets would likely be needed.

I still have bottles of my last brew in my fermentation fridge so no great rush, so might as well get the extra yeast.

Cheers all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Graculus said:

Can't edit my post above but at least one of the Coopers Lager recipes say to use 2 packets of Saflager.

I have done that in the past. I'm pretty sure I've also used the kit yeast from a Coopers Euro Lager and an extra Saflager too.

It's more than one @Graculus .  According to Shamus' Spreadsheet there are 24 brews classed as Lagers in the database . 

3 recipes called for 2 packets of W-34/70 - the Artisan Reserve,  Deuce Lager and Mr.Sinister

12 of them recipes use w-34/70 and a kit yeast in combination while the Light German Bock used 2 kit yeasts.

7 lager brews required just one W-34/70  while the Green Neck Lager was the only brew that only required one kit yeast.

The S-23 yeast was only used in two brews both in combination with the kit yeast (Black Beard Schwarzbier & Vintner's Lager)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

It's more than one @Graculus .  According to Shamus' Spreadsheet there are 24 brews classed as Lagers in the database . 

3 recipes called for 2 packets of W-34/70 - the Artisan Reserve,  Deuce Lager and Mr.Sinister

12 of them recipes use w-34/70 and a kit yeast in combination while the Light German Bock used 2 kit yeasts.

7 lager brews required just one W-34/70  while the Green Neck Lager was the only brew that only required one kit yeast.

The S-23 yeast was only used in two brews both in combination with the kit yeast (Black Beard Schwarzbier & Vintner's Lager)

I only looked at a couple of recipes on the website.

I couldn't be bothered to go through them and so I thought I'd cover myself by saying at least one.

But generally it seems to brew Lager at a low temperature you need two packets.

I know on the UK forum I read people say it's very hard to get the Euro Lager to ferment out properly below 15 or 16C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Graculus.   I was just illustrating how many Lagers in the recipe database require two packets of yeast and how they almost exclusively require the W-34/70 lager yeast for low temp fermenting.  

One point that further underlines it is that 6 of the 8 lagers that require only 1 packet of yeast are brewed to volumes of 10 litres or less. 

I am interested because I haven't brewed any true lagers but having recently acquired temperature control I intend to have a crack - and i'll be reaching for a couple of packets of W-34/70 when I do.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

I agree Graculus.   I was just illustrating how many Lagers in the recipe database require two packets of yeast and how they almost exclusively require the W-34/70 lager yeast for low temp fermenting.  

One point that further underlines it is that 6 of the 8 lagers that require only 1 packet of yeast are brewed to volumes of 10 litres or less. 

I am interested because I haven't brewed any true lagers but having recently acquired temperature control I intend to have a crack - and i'll be reaching for a couple of packets of W-34/70 when I do.   
 

I have just bought 2x11.5g packs of Saflager S-23, that should do the trick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 packs of S-23 have arrived and I am looking start the brew by the weekend, my next question is;

Would you pitch the yeast at 20ish, or go straight in at a fermentation temp. of 10o?

I am using bottled water for this brew as our local water is very hard, meaning it is currently in my fermentation fridge at 18o, the theory being when mixed with the warm/hot water used to mix the extract it should come out somewhere close to 20-23o. I could easily drop this to around 10if needs be.

Another thing that has been on my mind, is there any reason why people prefer the W-34/70 over S-23? From what I have read there is little practical difference between the two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no expert in this space, so happy to be corrected.

I typically pitch 1 rehydrated packet of W-34/70 at 20°C.  Leave for a few hours.  Then set temperature controller to 12°C.  Within 12 hours it is down to that temperature.  Never had issues.

Others start at lower temperature but with more yeast.  So with your 2 packets you could pitch at 10-12°C.

No reason why I favour W-34/70 over S-23.  It has just been the yeast specified or supplied in more of the recipes that I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bigrmac said:

My 2 packs of S-23 have arrived and I am looking start the brew by the weekend, my next question is;

Would you pitch the yeast at 20ish, or go straight in at a fermentation temp. of 10o?

I am using bottled water for this brew as our local water is very hard, meaning it is currently in my fermentation fridge at 18o, the theory being when mixed with the warm/hot water used to mix the extract it should come out somewhere close to 20-23o. I could easily drop this to around 10if needs be.

Another thing that has been on my mind, is there any reason why people prefer the W-34/70 over S-23? From what I have read there is little practical difference between the two?

Yes, I've read there's very little difference too. I had a recipe that said use S23, so that's the one I've stuck with.

I've probably said before I've also read to use two packets. I'd generally pitch the rehydrated or reused yeast at about 20c.
Then set the fridge to 12-13c. I've never pitched the yeast straight in at a low temperature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Graculus said:

Yes, I've read there's very little difference too. I had a recipe that said use S23, so that's the one I've stuck with.

I've probably said before I've also read to use two packets. I'd generally pitch the rehydrated or reused yeast at about 20c.
Then set the fridge to 12-13c. I've never pitched the yeast straight in at a low temperature.

I guess pitching at the lower temp will ultimately just lead to a longer fermentation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mutons Continental Gold Pilsner - 22/05/2020

OG = 1.039 which seems a little low

2 packs of S-23 Yeast pitched @ 27o

Fermented @ 12o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been a week since i pitched the yeast on this one, checked the SG today and we down to 1.011 already!

I was expecting this to be more like a 2 week fermentation with it being down at 12o?

Would now be a good time for a diacetyl rest? It seems like its close to if not finished fermenting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @bigrmac, If you have not upped the temperature yet, I would do it now.

I tend to increase the temperature of my lagers once they drop below 1.020 for the diacetyl rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Shamus,

I really wasnt expecting the fermentation to happen this quickly otherwise i would have checked it sooner, I will bump it up to 18o now, what's the worst that can happen! lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...