Coopers Community

Wheat Beer hops

My HBS was a sad sight, not much on the shelves. Not hoarding, just poor supply at the moment. I managed to grab coopers wheat malt tin and a Morgans Bavarian Wheat Beer kit and a WB yeast. 

I've typically bittered all my beers, but am light on for stock, HBS wasn't much better. German noble seem to be the go. I've only got some Styrian and Cascade, worth it or not?

Depends what you're trying to make. WB-06 is marketted as a hefe yeast but is apparently more of a wit yeast and makes a drier beer. Either way, neither wits or hefes usually have late additions or dry hops. That's not to say some Cascade won't be nice.

One other thing to check is the IBUs in the Morgans kit. I know the Thomas Coopers kit gives about 25 IBUs in 23L, while most wheat beers call for closer to 15 IBUs.

My mistake, I have the MJ wheat, not Morgan's IBU is 14-18. Also got the Lallemand Munich yeast. I guess adding hops isn't necessary, just used to doing so, as most kits are a bit average without. Wheat beer might be an exception, as it's not a hoppy beer - it's more about the yeast does, I imagine.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lab Cat said:

My mistake, I have the MJ wheat, not Morgan's IBU is 14-18. Also got the Lallemand Munich yeast. I guess adding hops isn't necessary, just used to doing so, as most kits are a bit average without. Wheat beer might be an exception, as it's not a hoppy beer - it's more about the yeast does, I imagine.

Yes.

Yeah perfect. It's all about the yeast. I think you've got the ingredients for a great beer there. Regarding ferment temp, the general thinking is closer to 18 for clove and closer to 24 for banana but I've been doing loads of reading and apparently the actual German breweries all keep it close to 18.

I'm trying my first bottle of the third Hefe I've brewed tomorrow. That was Lallemand Munich Classic yeast (this i different to their Munich yeast) brewed at 22 so I'll report back.