Coopers Community

Dextrose vs enhancers

Mickey123

Dextrose is just straight glucose. Doesn't add anything to the beer other than alcohol. It also makes it thin and watery. The enhancers contain a mixture of dextrose and other ingredients like dry malt and maltodextrin. Number 3 is probably the best of them. These provide more body, and a bit more malt flavour. 

There aren't too many beers where using large amounts of straight dextrose actually improves them. 

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

**The above is copied from the Brewing Support page of this website. Take a look through if you have time. You gain a good deal of information from it.

23 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dextrose is just straight glucose. Doesn't add anything to the beer other than alcohol. It also makes it thin and watery. The enhancers contain a mixture of dextrose and other ingredients like dry malt and maltodextrin. Number 3 is probably the best of them. These provide more body, and a bit more malt flavour. 

There aren't too many beers where using large amounts of straight dextrose actually improves them. 

Thanks for the info. what if you added both to a brew?

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

**The above is copied from the Brewing Support page of this website. Take a look through if you have time. You gain a good deal of information from it.

thanks, I will look today

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Decboylan said:

What would be a good recipe for a decent lager at about 5% abv or above

Depends what sort of lager you like as there are many. There are: Australian, Asian, Belgium, German, American and of course the king of lagers Pilsner.  If you're a bit more specific I am certain someone will have a recipe for you.  The thing with lager is not so much a beer but a process.   You can find some info here: https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/rOqc2p417q/  

You can short circuit that to a degree by make a pseudo lager using one of the ale yeasts that will ferment in the low teens like Nottingham.

To do one well you will need temperature control.  Myself and a couple of other guys here like Pilsner so we make those.  The general process is:  Pitching a lot of yeast and ferment between 10c-12c until it is about 2/3rds fermented. Then up the temp over a few days to 18c and leave at that for a couple of days. Then slowly start to cold crash over a day or two until it is under 4c, some guys like it less than 1c others like me 2-3c. Leave it there for a week or so before packaging. If kegging put in keg, pressurise and leave under 4c for anywhere from one to three months. If bottling: bottle leave at ambient to carbonate for 2 weeks then store in a nice cool place for at least 3 months.   You will have a beautiful clear, crisp lager. that will reward all your efforts.  If you take the psuedo lager route you can by-pass a great deal of that or if you use Kveik yeast and pressuure ferment the lagering can be as shout as 2 weeks.   I have used all 3 methods and when making Pilsners I go the full lagering route using lager yeasts.  It is my belief to make a great lager takes time and when done properly there are not much better beers.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are some 5%+ Lagers   (Brew - Style - ABV - EBC - IBU - Litres)

1st Borough Lager Lager 5.2 20 40 21
Bird of Prey American Lager Lager 5.5 46 38 10
Capital Pils Lager 8.3 11 60 23
Coopers Artisan Reserve Lager 5.5 11 28 23
Czech Pils Lager 5.2 8 30 20
Enterprise Lager Lager 5.6 9 45 23
Green Neck Lager Lager 5 8 22 21
Light German Bock Lager 7.2 14 40 23
Prescription Pils Lager 5 10 26 8.5
Two Step Lager Lager 5.4 17 45 10
Vintner's Lager Lager 5.9 15 30 22

and here are some Dark Lagers

Black Beard Schwarzbier Dark Lager 5.3 54 26 23
Bock in Black Dark Lager 7.2 105 27 8.5
Mister Sinister Dark Lager 7.2 200 35 20
Tsar's Tar Dark Lager 9.4 70 20 23

and even a couple of Amber Ales

Nightcap American Dark Lager Amber Lager 5.6 48 26 10
Turncoat IPL Amber Lager 6.5 24 57 8.5

The brews are linked to their recipe pages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2