Coopers Community

Popped My Cherry 🍒

Thecko

So checked brew today it’s holding temperature tried the FG reading 1.003 today had a sample not sure if this ones worked or not! Same was 2/3 clear in tube. Little sediment on top of wort in FV. Probably wait a day or so to bottle. It’s been in FV 5 days now sure another couple won’t hurt?

You can leave them for a couple of weeks. Providing you aren’t opening it too much it’ll be fine. 

You want to be waiting for the gravity reading from your hydrometer to be consistent over a couple of days. If you get that, and have the ability, cold crash it to dropout the majority of the floaties.

Then bottle away.

34 minutes ago, Thecko said:

So you reckon a cold crush in fridge overnight be alright?

One night would probably not do much.

Just the way my brewing schedule works I usually start my cold crash on Monday and bottle the following weekend.  So cold crashing for 5-6 days.

10 minutes ago, Thecko said:

Ok so if at 4 degrees in a fridge for 3-5 days that wouldn’t be too cold you think. Then bottle after that.

Temperature-wise, not at all.  I cold crash in a temperature controlled freezer and set the temperature to 1°C.  The temperature fluctuations see the temperature drop below 0, but not for long.

Bottling cold has the advantage of avoiding frothing that some get when filling bottles with room temperature beer.

So this morning the FG read the same as yesterday so I’ve taken your advice Shamus and put this baby in the fridge for a cold crash.

Before I went to bed last night turned the outside fridge to the coldest setting and this morning it had 2 degrees reading. I’m gonna leave it in there now till the weekend before I bottle that should be fine?

B13B7157-5591-4A94-BB2C-7FFCE7F8DABE.jpeg

• Like 1

Well I’ve just bottled up first brew! Bloody hell it was just on this side of not freezing!  Hope I’ve filled up enough. 2 carbonation drops in each! Put into warm area to come back up to room temp for the next couple of weeks. Now this is gonna be the hard part,waiting for the aging process before I can have a 🍺🍺🍺🍺

541C8F24-223C-4F28-952D-F216D655451D.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/21/2020 at 5:23 PM, Thecko said:

If it taste good now how will it taste when bottled?

4 hours ago, Thecko said:

Well I’ve just bottled up first brew! Bloody hell it was just on this side of not freezing!

Once you get your inkbird, both of these things will be even better: temp controlled fermentation for improved flavour, and not freezing your brew during the cold crash. 😉

Already planning next brew now! First I need to go get more bottles and set up fermentation fridge so I can enhance flavour and cold crash process.
I’m thinking either a Pale Ale or IPA. 
So for the bottle ageing process min 2 weeks before I touch a drop🍺

So with my brew bottles for 7 days now I was wandering if I put a couple in the fridge after 10-14 days will they continue to mature or will they stall cause they’ve chilled?

As a general rule, they would be good to fridge after 14 days carbonating.  The yeast will have done all it can in that regard by then.

Lagers (real ones) definitely benefit from storage in the cold before consuming.  Ales supposedly do to.  However, I have never kept an ale in the fridge for more than a week before consuming.

So it would be fair to say, whatever you put in the fridge will 'mature' or become better.  No stalling issues though.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

Ok! Well on day 13 of bottle brew I decided to crack a sample bottle and was a bit flat with what I had! No head very low carbonation (2 drops in ea). Had a flat feel. However day 14! Here’s day 13 sample below!

48F0E458-4C96-4CE1-A123-25C9A8BB9B05.jpeg

23AEB086-7962-4DF5-BC13-FEF62734BE6E.jpeg

Day 14 bottle sample better taste and flavour🤔 surprised that one day can make such a difference. However still lacks carbonation and head on beer😥
happy with first brew but would love to get Better carbonation and head on beer. Does BEH help with beer head retention?

day 14 sample!

Time for brew 2! I’m hooked. Thanks guys for your feedback👍🍺🍺

A77886DC-38BA-4078-80E3-3C9FC616045F.jpeg

• Like 1