Coopers Community

Powers Bitter

homa

Dunno about powers but if you want an Australian-ish type of lager I’d go for 4.5kg of Barrett burston pale malt, .5kg of dex and POR  bittered to 35 IBU and use s-189 yeast.

I believe XXXX used cluster so maybe you could look at that instead of POR

just stabbing here...

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Thanks 1

XXXX 100% use cluster so i would say that Powers would be Pride of Ringwood.  I also think there would be some cane sugar in the brew as well.  Mitch is probably on the money but I would increase the sugar and decrease the Barley.  I would start will Mitch's and keep decreasing the barley and increasing the sugar until you hit it.  Another thing they use a great deal in commercial beers is rice. I know XXXX use a lot of it now.

Edited by MartyG1525230263

cheers thanks for the reply's

I tried CUB just to see what hops they used and they said that was a close guarded secret

why rice and how long has XXXX been using it for ?

speaking of XXXX you reminded me of something I saw recently searching for recipes

https://www.change.org/XXXXBitter

• Like 1

10 hours ago, homa said:

why rice and how long has XXXX been using it for ?

Rice is cheap. I don't know how long they have been using it but a logical guess would be since Kirin bought into Lion Nathan. I dobt know the full details but my guess would be that the majority of the worlds commercial beers now use rice in some form.  I dont know but my guess is beers like Great Northern and Iron Jack are rice beers. 

XXXX BITTER is a big-hearted lager which is full of pride. That pride runs deep in the ingredients; pure local water, Australian malted barley, Queensland cane sugar, unique Golden Cluster hops and yeast grown at the XXXX Brewery combine for a beer with a signature clean, crisp taste and satisfying after-bitterness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I dont know but my guess is beers like Great Northern and Iron Jack are rice beers. 

Rice or corn i think. The other megaswill are not great beers but i tell you the VBs and XXXX and New's kick the crap out of Great Northern and Iron Jack. Got me buggered how they were successfully launched.

• Like 2

Marketing. The target market thinks all craft beer drinkers are hipster wankers and that these bland excuses for beer are what real men drink while/after doing manly things, because marketing told them so. And they won't try anything else because it might make them less of a man to drink hipster juice. That's about what it boils down to. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Marketing.

Am afraid I cannot agree more with Kelsey on this - whether it is Corona, XXXX Gold, Gt Nth or whatever joke-swill.... it is purely sold on Ads making people THINK they are having a great time...

Any Beer Company that HIGHLIGHTS low bitterness (Gt Nth Jokebeer)  = we are too fkkn cheap to buy any hops = is a an absolute JOKE beer company.

And they can bag us for being 'hipsters' - the pure fact is that - we are making - and drinking - real beer.  Not brown coloured alcohol flavoured softdrink.

image.png.4ed6647776598392390ebef2f3dfb4c7.png

image.png.99378732b8317f4a17e636e0d4a0cb32.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Not even the AG home brew ?

Na always brings his own.  It is too bitter, too dark, too hoppy, too yeasty, too sweet, too too .... you get the drift , then he says....dont know how you can drink that sh^& Marty here get a real beer into ya while I am drinking a 3 month keg lagered  AG Pils. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The old powers of piss....Mate i had no idea this still had any kind of following, i just assumed they went broke & castelmaine brewery  bought them out... my first recollection  of powers was that one needed to take a monthfull and punch the nearest wall & try to swollow it , it burnt your throat if you took your time, that was the 80'/90s & they sponsored the Broncos prehaps it improved since those dark old days.

Edited by Ocean's of Ale-

1 hour ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

The old powers of piss....Mate i had no idea this still had any kind of following, i just assumed they went broke & castelmaine brewery  bought them out... 

Nothing of the sort.  They built a state of the brewery at Yalta which was sold to Carlton for a very healthy profit.  It is now the CUB headquarters in Qld.   Powers made several very drinkable beers but they got caught up in the Bond/Lion and the CUB duopoly that destroyed all the local state breweries.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 6:18 PM, MitchBastard said:

Dunno about powers but if you want an Australian-ish type of lager I’d go for 4.5kg of Barrett burston pale malt, .5kg of dex and POR  bittered to 35 IBU and use s-189 yeast.

I believe XXXX used cluster so maybe you could look at that instead of POR

just stabbing here...

How many litres would I start with ?