Coopers Community

Hefe-Wit advice

I'm going to attempt my first Witbier and was hoping some of the gurus on here could give me a hand. I have screenshotted the basics from IanH's spreadsheet.

image.png.89326071a085cbc3ca09f39c9bf0f898.png

I'm calling it a Hefe-Wit because I'm using WB-06 yeast, which is listed as a Hefe yeast with 70% attenuation, but everything I've read suggests it's closer to a Wit. I also already have a sachet that I want to get rid of.

Given it's a 10L batch, my plan is to add 6g of crushed coriander seeds with 10 minutes left in the boil and then the peel of 1 blood orange at flameout for 10 minutes. I've seen people saying you can either do this in the boil or as a dry hop. Given I'll only be using half the WB-06 sachet, I figure I'll try try a boil and then strain everything into the fermenter. If this doesn't give enough kick I'll try a dry hop next time.

That's the recipe, now for a few questions:

1. I mentioned sanity checking the IBUs in IanH's spreadsheet in another thread. Can anyone confirm that my boil as shown will give 16 IBUs?

2. I've been trying to add a grain steep to my extract brews for some added malt character, except with yeast-forward beers like Hefeweizen. I assume a Wit is similar and wouldn't see much benefit from a grain steep?

3. Any other issues with the recipe? Maybe the amounts of coriander and peel for anyone who has used them before?

TIA, Cassius.