Coopers Community

YEAST 2 YEARS PAST BEST BEFORE DATE (ANY GOOD?)

TasteeePINTS

I bought some hops & yeast from my local homebrew shop, only to get home to check the expiration dates on the yeast before storing in the fridge, only to discover the bohemian lager yeast's best before was 2 years (22 months exactly- best before date is 06/2018). Is this yeast still good, it was stored in the fridge at the shop and is now in mine. What should I do???

PEACE HOMEBREWERS OF THE WORLD

Rehydrate it in water then throw it into a starter and see if it ferments. If it does then you can pitch the freshly grown yeast into your batch. If it doesn't then you should probably get more yeast. 

I suspect it will probably work, I actually did a viability stain test on a sample of Nottingham yeast that was about 3 years out of date, also stored in the fridge the whole time. About 75% of the cells were still alive. 

5 hours ago, TasteeePINTS said:

I bought some hops & yeast from my local homebrew shop, only to get home to check the expiration dates on the yeast before storing in the fridge, only to discover the bohemian lager yeast's best before was 2 years (22 months exactly- best before date is 06/2018). Is this yeast still good, it was stored in the fridge at the shop and is now in mine. What should I do???

PEACE HOMEBREWERS OF THE WORLD

If the shop is not too far away I would take it back and get fresh yeast or money back. I would be wary of the hops as well. Next question how long was it in your fridge if it was a while +1 to what Otto said 🤣 

Edited by RDT2