Coopers Community

Being Prepared!

Journeyman

I've started putting some money aside. The reason is, once this whole CV-19 is done with, and pubs open again, I reckon there will be a swag of HB gear hitting the sites like Gumtree and it will be good to have some cash around to make purchases.

I think there're a lot of drinkers who have 'panic-bought' HB gear who will be sick of the game and the instant the normal venues are back they'll be giving it up.

Whatcha think?

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I've started putting some money aside. The reason is, once this whole CV-19 is done with, and pubs open again, I reckon there will be a swag of HB gear hitting the sites like Gumtree and it will be good to have some cash around to make purchases.

I think there're a lot of drinkers who have 'panic-bought' HB gear who will be sick of the game and the instant the normal venues are back they'll be giving it up.

Whatcha think?

Could be true.

The weeks after Fathers Day and Christmas are also a good time to have spare cash for unused or rarely used kits and equipment.

• Like 1

If they did the equations it would be far cheaper, really a no brainer for me cost wise.

Took me a little coin to get set up, but once set up, heaps cheaper. I’ve become a home brew beer snob I think, that’s liking home brew and not mega-swill anymore.🤣🤣

But you could be right JM, might get some good deals 😃🍺
I used to bottle back in the 90,s, then gave up, but was in the position this time to go straight to kegging. 

21 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

If they did the equations it would be far cheaper, really a no brainer for me cost wise.

Took me a little coin to get set up, but once set up, heaps cheaper. I’ve become a home brew beer snob I think, that’s liking home brew and not mega-swill anymore.🤣🤣

But you could be right JM, might get some good deals 😃🍺
I used to bottle back in the 90,s, then gave up, but was in the position this time to go straight to kegging. 

I think many people would prefer t pay someone else rather than take the time to learn something new. The sudden stripping of LHBS's suggests a lot of impulse buys when the crisis hit.

I'm about to start kegging, so ScuMo has one grateful recipient. 😄

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I think many people would prefer t pay someone else rather than take the time to learn something new. The sudden stripping of LHBS's suggests a lot of impulse buys when the crisis hit.

I'm about to start kegging, so ScuMo has one grateful recipient. 😄

I make my own beer.

Grow my own veggies.

Make my own cheese.

Have coldroom panels to build a small one & smoke meat.

My wife thinks I’m gonna move to Byron Bay and be self sufficient, and you know what, that appeals to me big time when I retire  😜😜

• Like 3

I make my own beer. 🏑

Grow my own veggies - Not yet

Make my own cheese - You should try it with cows milk. 😄 Where do you find milk that hasn't been 'deaded' by the stuff they do to it?

Have coldroom panels to build a small one & smoke meat - Bloody hard to light that stuff and not sure why you'd want to do it in a coolroom. 😄

My wife thinks I’m gonna move to Byron Bay and be self sufficient - nice place Byron Bay - good choice.

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I make my own beer. 🏑

Grow my own veggies - Not yet

Make my own cheese - You should try it with cows milk. 😄 Where do you find milk that hasn't been 'deaded' by the stuff they do to it?

Have coldroom panels to build a small one & smoke meat - Bloody hard to light that stuff and not sure why you'd want to do it in a coolroom. 😄

My wife thinks I’m gonna move to Byron Bay and be self sufficient - nice place Byron Bay - good choice.

Yes the milk is hard to find.

Not exactly Byron but Kingscliff, my wife is from down that way, and that’s where we will reside in retirement. 
With my coldroom 🤣🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Did a browse of Gumtree today - just for my area the number of kits and bits on sale has gone WAY up! More than 25 ads available where a couple of weeks back when I was looking at kegs and parts, there were like 4 or 5.

I guess some people dived in and decided it was too much like science? 😄

I think you're right JMan.   Talking to my LHBS man the other day.  He said he is selling more in a week since the virus than he usually does in a month !   He even had to bag up some Nottingham for me because all the pre bagged stuff was sold out.   He said it was a 50/50 split between newbies and folks returning to brewing.  Not all the newbies will stick and they will be stuck with the gear they have bought.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:50 PM, James of Bayswater said:

I think you're right JMan.   Talking to my LHBS man the other day.  He said he is selling more in a week since the virus than he usually does in a month !   He even had to bag up some Nottingham for me because all the pre bagged stuff was sold out.   He said it was a 50/50 split between newbies and folks returning to brewing.  Not all the newbies will stick and they will be stuck with the gear they have bought.  

Good news for those of us hunting bargains to increase our infrastructure. 😄